What to do after tape failure

lunadesign

I'm using an external SCSI DDS4 drive with Retrospect 6.5 for Windows. While doing my weekly incremental backups three weeks ago, my current tape (the 4th in a set of 4) gave me problems during the compare phase. When I tried it again a few weeks later, I got error code -102 (trouble communicating).

So, I'm pretty sure tape #4 is bad. What do I do now? I don't want to start a new full backup set because it will take all day switching through 4 tapes. Is there a way to add a new tape to the existing backup set and tell Retrospect to do an incremental backup that picks up everything that's not already on tapes 1-3? I'm assuming tape 4 can't be trusted for restores and want to toss it.

Many thanks in advance....

Hi

Go to configure->backup sets and click on properties for the backup set in question. On the members tab set tape #4 as missing. Retrospect will automatically mark all the files that were on that tape as missing. It will ask you for a new tape, name it number 5 and do an incremental backup as normal, backing up any files that are not already in the set.

Thanks

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Archived