Retrospect 6.5 does full backup but locks up making snapshot

dietz13

I have had problems in the past with the system hanging up and unresponsive. I had found a work around that worked (Posted 11/10/03). Full system restores worked OK. This is not applicable anymore. This time the host computer over a Windows Me home network backs up all the file on the boot drive and when it starts to make a snapshot the computer locks up for eternity. My clients do not have any problems. I have all non essential system applications turned off and I have also updated to the latest retrospect version and dirvers. The computer locked up before the update also.

Does anyone have this same problem and if so how was it resolved?

Hi

I would uninstall and Reinstall the Network drivers for starters. Do you have any active virus software running when the backup occurs?

On a Windows ME machine the snapshot is primarily composed of the Registry. If you use the Regedit tool to export the registry do you get a similar hang?

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

Network drivers were uninstalled and reinstalled with no changes at all. Also the Regedit tool export of the registry does not hang the system at all and works normally.

When the machine freezes up while making the snapshot, the forzen screen shows it at the registry location. I have cleaned the registry several times with reliable utilites to remove unused keys, etc.

I have also verified the system by using the startup controlcenter and turning off all files except the bare essesentialls. I have also disabled the system restore (cleaned out restore files),defragged the system and used scandisk to check the hard drive.

Retrospect still hangs on the making of the snapshot. Its funny that all my clients do not have this problem.

Regards,

Dietz

Hi

This is really unsual so it is likely isolated to your machine.

Can you install Retrospect directly on the problem machine and run a test backup using the "no files" selector? This will just grab the registry and eliminate the network as a point of failure.

You might also want to try downgrading to the Retrospect 6.0 client. It works perfectly well but the code base is very different:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/client_60.exe

Thanks

Nate

Archived