Power failure or system crash

vwasem

Over the course of the past couple months, I have increasing received the message of (paraphrasing here) "Execution terminated, this is probably due to a power failure or system crash". Unfortunately, there was no power failure or any indication of a system crash. The backup failures started at a rate of about one a week and have been increasing to a point of about every other backup attempt. System is W2K Server with all current hot fixes, Retro 6.5.319 with rdu 5.1.101.

During an initial search on the web for a possible cause, I saw a post that the reason was most likely due to a bad tape or a tape drive failure. I use a number of different tapes, so have ruled out that possibility. However, the tape drive unit is 3 years old (HP DataStore), so I'm guessing that it is failing. Does this track with any experiences the rest of you have had? Thanks, vw

Hi

For starters:

Make sure the tape drive is disabled in the windows device manager. Also make sure that the SCSI cables are not kinked at all. Sometimes the wieght of the cable pulling on the SCSI connector is enough to cause a bad SCSI connection over time. Give it a good wiggle and make sure it is seated properly.

Its probably a good idea to update to Retrospect 6.5.350 from the updates site too.

Does the log give any indication of what is happening before the failure occurs?

Thanks

Nate

Archived