After restoring ProgramFiles, get Access Denied on target system

JimZeeb

I did a selective restore of files in the ProgramFiles directory on the target system.

I tried the restore option to "update security info" both ON and OFF.

The system I'm restoring to has had a Clean Windows Install since it was backed-up.

I log on to the target system with Administrator priviledges using the same user name.

When I try to access the files in the ProgramFiles directory that were restored, I get an "Access Denied" message.

I've tried rebooting, but the same thing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

Have you tried restoring the files to a different folder and then dragging them to the final location in "Program files"?

Are you restoring these files via Retrospect client or over filesharing?

If this is Windows XP home you may need to boot into safe mode to change the permissions on these files.

Thanks

Nate

I did restore the files to a different folder. I get AccessDenied when I try to open the folder.

They were restored using the Retrospect Client.

The operating system is XP Pro. I'm pretty sure it IS a file permissions issue.

If I boot into Safe Mode, how do I change the permissions?

Thanks ...jz

I believe there's a Retro restore option "Restore Security Information." I recall that others had better luck doing a restore with that option turned *off* (and them updating ownership, etc. as an Admin after the files had been restored).

Hi

If this is XP pro you don't need to boot in safe mode. You can simply change the permissions of the parent folder by right clicking it and selecting properties->security.

GoAWest's suggestions are good as well.

Nate

Nate

Archived