Retrospect 6.5.350 Slow "Duplicating state information..." using duplicate backup

hicannon

I am running a nightly duplicate backup of an NTFS file system to a subdirectory on a second NTFS on a different physical disk. I am duplicating system state (though there is no system on this file system) and permissions, and verify is off. The source file system has about 250,000 files on it. I noticed that a duplicate, even when only copying a few hundred megabytes of data, takes about 3 hours. It seems to spend some time in the Closing... phase with 1 file remaining. Then, it seems to spend the bulk of its time in "Duplicating state information..." It is doing disk I/O during both of these operations.

If I turn off duplication of server and workstation security, and system state, the backup takes about 26 minutes. If I turn security duplication back on, the time goes up again.

I noticed some messages about speed fixes for copying permissions under Panther, but there was no mention of the equivalent issues for Windows. I'd like to shorten the backup time if at all possible, as it interferes with other nightly operations like anti-virus scans.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi

By default Retropsect copies NTFS security information for every folder, every time the duplicate is run. It is the only way to ensure that you have a copy that matches the source disk. Retrospect uses a Microsoft API to do this - unforutunately it is still quite slow.

Thanks

Nate

Archived