How Do I Create / Schedule A Rotating Backup

JBorders

I'm new to Retrospect (and I admit it).

I'd like to create a backup using Retrospect Professional 6.5 (Windows) that starts over at the begining of each month.

The backup sets that I've created thus far seem to go on forever. I can't seem to find the right combination of choices.

For instance, I'd like to backup every weekday of July and then start over on August 1st with a "full backup" followed by daily incremental / progreesive backups until the first of September. On September 1, I want to start again with a "full backup" followed by daily incrementals until 10/01. I'd like to keep 3 months of these backups and then recycle (delete) the oldest when I create the 4th month.

My "destination" for these bakups is a Maxtor 250Gb HDD attached thtough a USB 2.0 connection.

I've been able to create daily backups but don't seem to be able to figure out the combination described above. confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

Hi

Using a weekly rotation of 3 sets and recycling (erasing) one every month is much easier to schedule and gives you better data protection.

This is a little dated but it will give you an idea of how to set up the scheduling:

Thanks

Nate

Come on....is there a newer version? Does Dantz have downloadable scripts? frown.gif

This is a really good question. How would one do this using Easy Script (or just scripts):

I'd like to create a backup using Retrospect Professional 6.5 (Windows) that starts over at the begining of each month.

The backup sets that I've created thus far seem to go on forever. I can't seem to find the right combination of choices.

For instance, I'd like to backup every weekday of July and then start over on August 1st with a "full backup" followed by daily incremental / progreesive backups until the first of September. On September 1, I want to start again with a "full backup" followed by daily incrementals until 10/01. I'd like to keep 3 months of these backups and then recycle (delete) the oldest when I create the 4th month.

My "destination" for these bakups is a Maxtor 250Gb HDD attached thtough a USB 2.0 connection.

I've been able to create daily backups but don't seem to be able to figure out the combination described above.

Hi

-Create a script using easy script

-Go to automate->manage scripts and edit the script

-click on schedule and add a single repeating interval script that does a "recycle backup" on the first of the month.

Don't worry that the schedules will overlap some days. Retrospect takes care of that automatically.

Thanks

Nate

Archived