Temp OS (drwinnt.tmp) not deleted at end of DR

tsmcnamara

I'm using Retrospect Pro 6.5.336 on Windows XP. After performing a DR restore the

system cannot boot. Using the windows Recovery Console I can see there are two OS's

on the drive - the restored OS and drwinnt.tmp. I can get into the restored OS through

the Recovery Console, but am unable to delete the drwinnt.tmp directory. This has

happened on two separate machines. I have tried a live restore without success. The

first machine I ended up reinstalling from scratch. I am trying to avoid that with the

second machine. Any suggestions?

Hi

The dirwnnt.tmp can remain on the disk and the system will still be bootable. In onther words, the fact that the DR folder is not deleted is not causing the boot failure.

Can you give some specifics about when the boot is failing?

Thanks

Nate

It seems to be failing while looking for a valid OS. I receive the following message...

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot paht and disk hardware."

Using the Recovery Console I rebuilt the boot.ini file. With that done I was presented with a list of OS's from which to choose. Unfortunately that only led to the BSOD.

Archived