Retrospect 6.5 won't see LaCie drive

I have just installed a brand new LaCie AIT drive onto a Dell Dimension 4400 running WinXP Pro. The drive is attached by FireWire. The Dell has installed into one slot a Keysoan USB2+FireWire card.

1 The Dell detects the Keyspan card.

2 Other devices attached to the Keyspan card are detected by Windows.

3 The LaCie drive is detected by Windows, both when attached via FireWire and via USB2.

4 Retrospect 6.5 (Windows) and 6.0 (Mac) was bundled with the LaCie drive.

5 Retrospect 6.0 on a Mac running OS X 10.3.something detects the LaCie drive.

6 Retrospect 6.5 on the Dell does NOT detect the drive. Nothing I do will get Retrospect to see it.

Given that the drive is known to work, the card connecting the drive to the Dell is known to work, and Windows sees the drive, I would say that either I'm doing something very silly or there's a major problem here.

Can someone tel me what I'm doing wrong so that I can use Retrospect on the Dell? It would be inconvient to use the Mac for backup, and the whole reason I bought the Keyspan card was to be able to use teh Dell instead. If there's a problem wrt the card, which card should I use instead of the Keyspan?

Hi

Make sure you have Retrospect 6.5.350 and driver update 5.1 from the updates site.

Does the device show up in configure->devices->environment in Retrospect? Have you tried running ASPIINST.exe located in the Retrospect application folder?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

Make sure you have Retrospect 6.5.350 and driver update 5.1 from the updates site.

Does the device show up in configure->devices->environment in Retrospect? Have you tried running ASPIINST.exe located in the Retrospect application folder?

Thanks

Nate

I think I have that version. I _don't_ think I have the driver update. I'll try that.

The device does NOT show in the devices environment in Retrospect for Windows. It _does_ show in Retrospect for Mac.

Quote:

Hi

Thanks

Nate

I downloaded and installed the 6.5.350 update, and the driver update, and ran ASPIINST. Retrospect now sees the DVD/CD-RW combo drive in the Dell, which it didn't before. It _still_ does not see the tape drive.

You may have already tried this, but I am experiencing a similar problem with an LaCie AIT tape drive (w/ MacOS X). While Retrospect for MacOS X can see the drive over Firewire, the performance during backups makes it unusable. As a work around, I have found that Retrospect can see and backup to the drive without a problem over USB2. (I have a friend running XP and who uses the same drive that this works for also). It's not a fix, but at least it allows you do backups.

Archived