WinNT Client to Mac Retr Server

lance

Question: Does the enabling of Mac Services for Windows on a Win NT Server with RetrClient 5.x make windows folders, which are not available to the Appleshare population, unavailable to the Retrospect 4.3 Server? I know I should mount to the RetrSp Server's desktop a Win folder (volume) that is to be shared in the Appleshare Chooser if I want to back it up but does enabling Mac Serv for Win complicate or blind RetrSp Server to the other Win shared folders?????

I've been running Retr4.3 from a G3 and picking up WinNT clients with no problem until we made a change on a particular NT server. This machines c:\ and f:\ volumes have been browseable from first install of the client and I've been backing up the f:\ volume for a year now. Recently, since f:\ was made an Appleshare volume to the Mac population, backup of f:\ has failed and attempting to browse gives a -35 error although the c:\ startup drive is browseable. Windows admin made no permissions changes to the f:\ volume. Configure>Volumes>Forget disappeared the f:\ from the Client list, but I can't put it back into the Volume list, since conditions haven't changed. This f:\ volume is being served and available to both Win and Mac networks, and is being backed up using Legato on UNIX. However, I'd like Retro to work again on this volume - please help!

lance@designory.com

• 2 weeks later...

No. The only way to prevent Retrospect for the Mac from seeing or accessing shared folders on the Windows server is to make those directories private from the Windows client.

Try forgetting and adding that volume again from Configure > Volumes.

If this fails, try uninstalling the client, logging in as Administrator, and reinstalling.

Archived