Can this application work?

chrisats

Hello,

I am setting up on and offsite storage for our company and was wondering if Retrospective 6.5 would work with the following scenario, and what would I need to accomplish it.

A dedicated machine that uses 6.5 to backup our server and a remote machine that is permanently connected via a VPN over a T1 so I am not stuck doing manual backups onsite and manual backups remotely. I currently do this with PCAnywhere and it is getting a little tiring. The server only contains approxiately 6 gigs of backup so when it does a syncronization of the server files to the remote location, the traffic would be light.

Can a single copy of 6.5 do this, or would I need a copy for both machines?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

We can probably make this work.

On the remote machine try binding Retrospect client to the IP address of the VPN connection (assuming it is static). The importand thing to note is that both machines must be on the same subnet for this to work in Retrospect professional.

If that does not work you could access the remote machine via MSFT filesharing and back it up that way. You won't be able to get applications and registry information but you will be able to access the data.

Another option would be to install Retrospect on the remote machine and set up an automatic backup to a backup set that is stored locally. The backup would then automatically push backup data over the VPN to the local machine.

Nate

Archived