Restore latest version of all files in certain folder

pannebaker

I want to restore the latest version of all files in a certain folder. (I'm using Retrospect Professional 6.5, under Windows XP Pro). An immediate restore, (Restore, Find Files), lets me specify "Only most recent versions" under Options, and this does the job.

But, I'd like to automate this. The manual reads as though a scripted restore, (Automate, Manage Scripts), would restore from only one day's backup, (whichever snapshot I choose).

Is there a way to have the best of both worlds: the latest version of each file, and automate the restore?

Hi

You are right about this. Retrospect will let you script a restore from a given snapshot but it won't let you change that snapshot automatically. Have you considered using the duplicate function for that folder? That will give you a current copy every time?

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I scheduled a scripted duplicate to run before my backup this evening. But, during the backup, the duplicate files were not backed up, (per Reports, Session Contents). I think that's because Retrospect does not back up duplicate files, (with the default settings under Automate, Manage Scripts, <i>script</i>, Options, Matching). The thing to note is that, at least under Windows, Duplicate duplicates even the Creation Date on the destination volume. As a result, Retrospect does not see it as a new file.

However, while digging in the User's Guide this evening, I saw a note under Matching Execution Options that says, "Archive operations have the matching option off by default, which results in archiving all selected files...." I tried that, and it did add every file in the folder to my backup set. So, I have a solution that works.

But, back to my original objective, (Restore collecting the files from several backup sessions), I believe I did see Restore actually restore files from an earlier session when the Snapshot I selected was from a session in which those files were not backed up. I think I saw that few days ago. But, I can't duplicate it. Maybe I'll have more success when I have more experience.

(I don't have a lot of Snapshots to work with, because I don't usually have "Snapshot" turned on. I try to get a whole month's backup on one CD-R.)

Nate, thanks for the reply a few days ago.

Archived