Server crashes while backing up OS X client

I am running Retrospect 5 Workgroup on a MacOS 9 machine, configured as a backup server. It works perfectly for a number of OS X clients but for one. That one is a Ti powerbook with two partitions, one for OS 9 applications and software and one for OS X. The owner runs OS X practically all the time. While running OS X, the OS 9 partition is backed up correctly. However, the server crashes when it tries to backup the OS X partition; this happens every time, at the beginning (0 files backed up). Restarting the server and trying to access the powerbook again gives a message that the client has been "reserved" -- the client has to be rebooted for the server to try again. Running disk utilities (Norton Disk Doctor and DiskWarrior) on the OS X partition has no effect, and neither does removing and reinstalling the retrospect software. The powerbook has no problems otherwise. The main difference with this powerbook and others is that the owner likes gadgets (which can't be all turned off easily in OS X, like you could boot with extensions off in classic MacOS). Can things like SuperGetInfo or DragThing interfere with Retrospect in OS X?

thank you,

Pascal Meunier

Does Retrospect produce an assert log?

Are there any errors reported in the log?

What Retrospect Version and build?

What OS is installed on the client (9 and X)?

What if you back up ONLY the OS X partition?

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Dear Irena,

Does Retrospect produce an assert log?

What's an assert log? I used Sherlock, there's no file with "assert" in its name. I searched also in the Retrospect user's guide and on the web with Google -- I can't find a definition of what it is.

Are there any errors reported in the log?

No, it just says " - : copying on ..."

and what follows is the lauch entry for when I restart Retrospect after having restarted the computer

What Retrospect Version and build?

What OS is installed on the client (9 and X)?

9.2 and 10.1.4

What if you back up ONLY the OS X partition?

Same thing, only the MacOS 9 partition isn't backed up

pmeunier asks:

Can things like SuperGetInfo or DragThing interfere with Retrospect in OS X?

I have a PowerBook with lots of 'gadgets,' including DragThing and SGI, and my client backups run smoothly.

What I'd suggest trying is to define some folders on the problem partition as subvolumes (Configure->Volumes) and try to back them up one at a time. Perhaps you can narrow it down to a particular directory's contents...

Dave

> What's an assert log?

Sorry! Check at /Library/Preferences/Retrospect for a file with a name like:

Retrospect.error.log.b8e9d397

If there isn't anything there, try creating another user on the client and testing the backup from there. Also check that the client version is a recent one (5.0.198).

If that fails as well, CallMeDave's suggestions should be very helpful in pinpointing the problem.

Irena,

There was no assert log. Our backup server sits on a separate network from some of the clients. After a while we noticed that the protocol changed in Retrospect 5.0 and our old firewall rules, which worked for Retrospect V.4.3, were interfering with Retrospect V.5. We have had to enable between the server and the other networks:

- UDP port 497

- ICMP

Retrospect 4.3 worked fine with those being blocked (TCP on port 497 was sufficient). Certainly, having the server crash because those services are blocked is a bug in Retrospect V.5. The most intriguing was that some clients on the other network could be backed up anyway with just TCP enabled.

Now, the problematic client backs up part-way and fails randomly (either during the initial scanning, while "initializing source" to verify the backup) with a "Network communication failed" error 519, but the firewall doesn't log any rejected or blocked packets. It makes no difference wether I am backing up a subvolume or the entire drive, the "Network communication failed" error appears to be random. By trying several times, eventually a backup succeeds all the way. It's better than before but still pretty awful.

What version of the client software is installed on the client?

Dantz has always recommended that incoming and outgoing TCP and UDP packets be allowed on your network. It should not be causing a crash, however, to have one disabled.

Please update the application to the latest, 5.0.205, from:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=intro_mac_retrospect#update

Archived