Subvolume problems

schickb

I need to backup a few directories on a large disk. To prevent excessive scanning, I have created subvolumes for these directories. Unfortunately this is causing problems during restore operations. If I restore using “Find Files” and it locates files in multiple subvolumes, the files are not recreated in their original locations even when I select “Replace Corresponding Files”.

Even if I manually select only a single file that corresponds to the subvolume I selected as the “Destination”, an extra folder is created within the subvolume. So if I restore what was originally “E:\dev\file.cpp” from the “dev” subvolume I end up with “E:\dev\dev\file.cpp”. How do I make Retrospect correctly restore “E:\dev\file.cpp” when “Find Files” locates files in multiple subvolumes?

Another issue with subvolumes: I have created subvolumes that existing on the same drive in different paths, but have the same leaf node folder name. It is difficult to tell these subvolumes apart in Retrospect (I am forced to continually examine the “properties” windows). For example, if I create subvolumes for the “My Documents” folder of multiple users I end up with multiple subvolumes named “My Documents” that are difficult to distinguish. Is there a way to rename the subvolumes within Retrospect?

Hi

Find files searches the raw contents of the backup set for files to restore. as a result it is much less organized.

I think you would have better luck restoring by snapshot with the "restore selected files" option. You can search for files using the search function in the preview window. When you do the restore use "replace corresponding files" It will put them back to thier original place on the drive.

Thanks

Nate

Thank you for the feedback. I'll try the "restore selected files" option, but it does seem like a bug that "find files" restores to the correct location when it locates files in just one subvolume, but restores to incorrect locations when it finds files in multiple subvolumes.

Any word on how to clarify the names of subvolumes with similar folder names (the second part of the original post)?

Archived