error 507

I have tried to update my previous scripts and Retrospect cannot open them. All though they do exsist and when I double click on them, I am able to view them in Retrospect. Frustrated, I decided to create new scripts all together. When I do this, and start the new script, in locating the clients, I receive an error 507 when I try to enter the password. I tried typing it as it appears a number of times to no avail. Why is this happening and how do I correct it. I am using a Mac G4, Dual Gig Processors, 1.5 Gigs of RAM and using a simple Apple network with a X Sense Router.

There are a few issues here and not quite enough information to really offer a full solution, but here's a few notes:

1. Are you upgrading an older version of Retrospect? If so, it should maintain all your scripts. You can view them but not upgrade them? Are they not launching? Are you getting errors?

2. You should not need to enter in a client password to recreate a script -- the clients should already be logged in. If they are not logged in any more, log them in with the password you originally gave to that client when you installed it. This is NOT the registration number or license code; it's a unique password that you choose when you install the client. If you no longer have that password, you'll need to uninstall the client software, restart and then reinstall, making sure that you note the password you used.

3. Are all your clients set up for TCP/IP? Note that 5.0 does not have any support for Apple Talk clients.

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have received the same problem on one of my backup clients. Every time I install the client for R5 on our G4 cube 450 running X 10.1.4 I give a password, but when I try to log in the client on the server, build 205, and give the same password it reports I have given the wrong password.

Remove and reinstall does not help. It can not be a client version issue since the same installer works for other computers running X 10.1.4.

/Stefan

In reply to:

Every time I install the client for R5 on our G4 cube 450 running X 10.1.4 I give a password, but when I try to log in the client on the server, build 205, and give the same password it reports I have given the wrong password.

The Retrospect Client password lives in the file:

/var/root/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state

Instead of using the installer's un-install, try removing just the state file this way:

1- Stop the client process (pitond) by holding the Command (Apple) key while pressing the "Off" radio button in the Retrospect Client window.

2- Move or remove the 'retroclient.state' using the terminal:

sudo mv /var/root/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state /var/root/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state.backup

- or -

sudo rm /var/root/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state

3- Start the client process by pressing the "On" radio button in the Retrospect Client window.

4- Enter your password (twice).

Oh, and confirm that you're attempting to log in the correct machine! Note the name in the Client window and double check that against the Client Database in Retrospect.

Dave

Make sure the password you gave the X client does not contain any spaces. These are accepted by the installer as valid but the server (9 or X) cannot log in with that password. The same is true with X login passwords. They cannot contain a space and I think the X client is affected by that. Dantz needs to fix the installer so that it disallows illegal characters.

Dear all,

The solution in this case was to give the password that has been in use by the beta software, not the same as I used for the real version. It was then possible to change the password via the backup server.

Thanks!

Stefan

In reply to:

The solution in this case was to give the password that has been in use by the beta software

While that may have gotten you up and running, it's not the best solution.

I think that the Public Beta release stored its 'retroclient.state' file in a different location from the release, but the actual program will use either one (that's why the uninstaller had no effect).

If you don't fix it correctly you might have this problem again.

Check for a retroclient.state file in /var/root/Library/

or read the docs for removing the Public Beta OS X Client

Dave

Archived