File access after restore with Retrospect 6.5

disteinborn

I had to rebuild my system this weekend. I did it from scratch and am now trying to restore certain items from my last backup including my IE favorites and several other files that are normally stored in "documents and settings" in Windows XP. After I completed the restore I could no longer access the subdirectory that contained my documents and settings and, although Retrospect says that it restored the selected files, they can't be seen. For example, there are still NO favorites in IE.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this!!

Thanks

Hi

Did you "restore entire disk" or restore "restore selected files". If you chose entire disk you may have restored your old system registry on to the new install of XP. That would explain any permissions problems that are happening now.

If you restored selected files, they will be in a new folder with the same name as the backup set. Most likely on the root of the C drive.

Any details on how you ran the restore would be helpful.

Thanks

Nate

Nate:

Thanks for your quick response. I did a clean installation of Windows XP Professional first. Then I installed current drivers for peripherals. Then I installed Retrospect 6.5 and did a restore of selected files, telling Retrospect to replace existing files in their current locations. Retrospect reports that it did that but one can't see them (and I have set up Windows XP so that system and hidden files are currently viewable). Moreover, I, even though I have set up my user id with Administrator rights, can't see the contents of my "user directory" under the "documents and settings" subdirectory. Any other user directory is viewable. The OS reports that I don't have rights to see my own user directory.

Thanks again!

Hi

This may be the problem. By default Retrospect restores the Registry when you do a "replace corresponding files" restore to the system volume. I think you restored your old registry on to the new system. Since the user IDs and installed applications don't match up you are unable to access the files.

I hate to say this but you should probably either do a full system restore from your backup. Or you could reinstall the OS clean and restore your files to a seperate location and them move them to thier final destination manually. In either case make sure you have the latest Retrospect driver update installed before you run the restore.

Thanks

Nate

Archived