Daily backup - not working - requesting new cartridge

jstein1206

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong here. I can't believe Retrospect does not allow this, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong.

I've installed Retrospect 6.0 Server edition on a Win2k server. The client wants TWO backups... the first back up is to an external harddrive unit via Firewire on a nightly basis. This backup works beautifully. I set this up to overwrite each night.

The second backup is via an internal Iomega REV drive. The clients wants a cartridge for each weekday night (makes sense; ie: Monday cartridge, Tuesday cartridge, and so on). The first week works fine. Retrospect names the cartridges something like 1-Monday, 1-Tuesday, and so on. However, when the second week comes along it's looking for a SECOND Monday cartridge. This here is my problem. I don't want a second one. I'm only backing up a total of like 7 gigs, I want it to add onto each Monday's (and Tuesdays and so forth).

I even ran the 5-day backup wizard, however it still doesn't work. I even tried setting the backup to overwrite each time. Seems to be getting caught up on the name.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

jaison

j@storm1.net

Hi

You mean it is looking for "2-monday" right? or is it looking for 1-Monday [001]?

So far it sounds like you have this set up properly. Make sure all of the schedules in your 5 day rotation script are set to be recycle backups. Make sure you are _not_ using new-media backups.

You are using Retrospect 6.0 correct? I'm not sure if that is compatible with REV drives. Our device compatibility list says you need Retrospect 6.5 with driver update 5.1 for use with REV drives.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes have a similar problem with my Win2K server and LTO drive. It's a 100/200 GB tape, but sometimes it 'closes' the tape the first time I use it. I think Nate is 1/2 right. If you recycle each backup set once, it will probably stop asking you for a second media each week. I just go into backup sets, right click on the offending tape, and select recycle. For me it seems like it is only an issue the first time I use a tape, but not every tape - only some tapes and without any clear pattern. FYI, I've also corrected the problem by erasing the tape/forgetting the backup set and then recreating it.

FWIW, I don't want to recycle my backup sets on every run because only 5% of what is on the tape changes from week to week. However, I do like to periodically recycle my backup sets to get a fresh copy & verify of everything. Once of these days I am going to set up a separate recycle script - just to recycle the set (one dummy file in a recycle backup 5 minutes before the regularly scheduled job every X weeks).

Greg

Archived