Test out a recovery CD

BDSolomon

I have previously been told that I can test out a recovery CD, that it will not do anything until I get a prompt.

Well, I finally got to create one, and tried to test it. It took a while loading drivers (that's ok), then it got to a prompt for me to choose a partition on the hard disk. When I chose F3 to exit, it warned me something about the installation not being complete and that it wasn't usable.

I rebooted, and it seemed to take much longer than normal; it finally came up and I seemed to have some 1-button program taking up all the CPU -- I assume that that's the "one-button backup", which I never use (I like to choose what I'm doing). I finally had to reboot, and seemed to get around it.

Now, this doesn't seem like a way to check out the disaster recovery -- I was afraid I was going to have to check it out the hard way (by having to recover).

Was I misinterpreting something? And how can I check it out? (It does seem, though, that I at least created a bootable CD, that I am able to boot from CD, etc., which is most of what I guess I would check. Is there any more?)

Brad

Hi

If you did not select a partition nothing was written or removed from your hard disk.

There are other users who have reported that the Maxtor one touch program will go out of control occasionally. I had trouble with it to. That is something you might want to ask Maxtor about.

nate

Hi

You stopped at a good spot - you know the disk is bootable and setup started properly. Any further and you would be selecting disks to erase. There are only one or two more choices to make before the disk is erased.

Thanks

Nate

Archived