Dynamic IPs

jsorger

Not exactly sure how Retrospect 'remembers' clients. Is it by MAC address? I have a g5 (OSX10.3.4) running Retrospect 6 for mac and am trying to get it to backup 3 powerbooks over wifi. Is it smart enough to handle the dynamic DHCP?

I've gotten it to work with 2 of the Powerbooks when connected via hard-wire (ethernet) but it seems to balk over wifi.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm wondering what to do about new iBook clients who want to "backup on demand" at will (both via ethernet and wireless). I had them all set up using Retrospect server when they were connected reliably day-in, day-out per scheduled backup times. I know that they can set their Retrospect client to "back up as soon as possible" but that would mean that they wouldn't be backed up if other scheduled backups were ahead of them in the queue or if others had also chosen to backup "as soon as possible" are ahead of them in the queue. THis sounds like a time-consuming task for me to keep track of them and help them. I'm wondering if there is another answer in Retrospect server?

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope I was clear about what I'm asking.

---Barbara Norway

• 3 weeks later...

Archived