Software compression works except for one client

morlando

We currently have five clients backing up over our Gigabit ethernet network. Four of them are users' stations, and one is a server. The four users are backed up each night, and the files copied are mostly Outlook data and various Office documents. Each user has his/her own backup set (on its own hard drive) and script. Each script is built exactly the same: source is the whole client, destination is their backup set, selector is All Except Cache Files, and software compression and data verification are enabled (they don't use any advanced settings).

The problem is that all but one of the clients' data are being compressed. I've made sure all of the clients are using the most current version of Retrospect and that they all have updated NIC drivers. I saw an article in the KB that says that hardware compression can only be enabled or disabled at the moment the backup set is created. Is it possible that this is the case with software compression as well? I may have forgotten to enable it when I did the first backup.

Hi

Compression is highly dependent on the data that is being backed up. It may be that the data on this client is not very compressible. If you are using the same set and all the script settings are the same then that is the most likely explaination.

Nate

Archived