Replace Corresponding Files

Tonmeister

Hello

I did a restore of a folder using the Find Files, then Replace Coresponding Files option. Half the files in the folder were still on the drive. Had Never been erased or changed since their creation. Retrospect proceeded to overwrite these files. As I understand it these files should not have been touched using this option.

Any ideas why this happened? How I can avoid it happening in the future

Thank You.

Stephen

Hi

The important thing to remember is that Retrospect compares what is on the disk with what is in the backup set. If the files don't match exactly they will be overwritten. You can restore the files to any disk you like but the files may change slightly in the process. Did you restore the files to a disk that was formatted the same as the original disk? A change in format could explain the trouble.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for the response Nate.

These are Audio files I am talking about. Restored from AIT. They are original in that they have never been been deleted, moved or modified in any way since their creation. In a directory of about 100 files I deleted about fifty thinking I no longer needed them. I did a find File and Replace corresponding file and Retrospect over wrote every file in the directory whether it exisited or not. On the bright side I have got all my files back! but it took a long time and I'm mystified. Is there a better way of doing this sort of restore?

Thanks

Stephen

Archived