error 541 (client not installed or not running)

broadcast

I keep getting this error with Retrospect for mac backing up Windows XP clients.

Restarting Windows clients is solving this for a few days and then it happen again.

This happen on all windows client randomly(6 clients). I didn't see this happen with the mac clients(30 clients)

I'm running G4 500MP/Panther/Retrospect 6.0.193 server and latest windows client version.

I also post this in the Mac section but maybe someone here can help.

Neil.

Hi

Is the firewall disabled on the windows machines? Can you use the network utility in OSX to do a portscan of the windows clients? Port 497 should show up as open for UDP and TCP. Are the Windows clients on different network hardware (switch/hub/router etc)?

Thanks

Nate

The firewall is off on all windows machine, port 497 was closed when I scanned the non responding machines.

After restarting "retrospect client service" on windows machines, the port was open and retrospect server was able to access the client.

The problem reoccurs the next day.

Hi

What state is the Window machine in when this error occurs? If you look at the client control panel on the XP machine is it on? does restarting the client service make any difference? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network driver for the problem machine?

Thanks

Nate

The window is running normally (not in sleep mode ), the client control panel is on and restarting the client service in network management is solving this for a day and then the problem comes back as I mentioned on my earlier posts.

This problem occurs on all windows machine randomly and as I mentioned on earlier post I had a clean install on a new window machine and it has the same problem.

Since I don't see any other user having this problem here, maybe its the Mac backup server that is living the windows client in a wrong state...

Hi

I doubt it is the Mac. A while back there were a number of people who had problems like this. The client service would stop functioning after the computer went to sleep and woke up again. The latest client build 6.5.136 fixed that problem for just about everyone.

What other Apps do you have running on your windows machines? Are they all the same hardware?

Thanks

Nate

Archived