Error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Madeline

This error had not been happening for over a year before now and just began all of a sudden. It occurs before backing up every single directory in my automated script (about 30 directories).

I have tried the following actions, without success, to resolve it (I am running WIN 6.5.283 on a DELL Dimension 8200):

1. I tried setting security preferences to "Always run Retroscpect as the specified user" and entered my name, my computer name and my password (I am the administrator as well). It would not take the password, and gave me the following error: "The provided login information is invalid." I tried removing the password and it would take the information in the preferences section but didn't resolve the problem. It did run under my user name and computer name, but the errors still appear.

2. I uninstalled Retrospect, rebooted, and reinstalled using "Retrospect" from the menu choices. It did not give me an option for turning off Open File Backup, which was my goal in doing this process. How can I install so as to be able to shut off Open File Backup?

3. I have checked the log and it appears to be backing up the appropriate folders, but continues to give me the 1017 error message. I even tried restoring files from the snapshots from these backups and they appear to be functioning. But it continues to alarm me to get all of these error messages.

Can you give me any other options to try? I would be most appreciative.

Thanks for any help,

Madeline

Hi

Use the Administrator account for the machine that Retrospect is installed on in the "log on as" settings. Once that works you will have no trouble.

Can you use Retrospect client to back up these files instead?

Thanks

Nate

Thanks, Nate. I will try logging in as the Administrator and see what happens. I tried to install Retrospect Client instead of Retrospect but it said something about needing a network setup to use it so I never tried. This is a single user machine (two users but only one at a time) and, to my knowledge, I don't think I am set up for a server-client environment. Should I uninstall, reboot, go ahead and try to install the Retrospect Client version? If so, will I need some detailed information about the network? Is it easy to find if I have one?

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful response.

Madeline

Hi

Actually Retrospect client should work with a minumum of setup. The client just allows you to easily connect to a machine on your network. You don't need a "server" or anything like that.

It is worth a try at least. It will make your backups much easier

Nate

Nate, thank you for clarifying the use of a client. Since I don't understand exactly what a "client" is (and I apologize for my lack of technical capabilities), but in order to try the client I performed (unsuccessfully) the following operations.

1. I am backing up from a Dell Dimension 8200 running under WindowsXP and backing up to an ACOMData USB 2.0 External Hard Drive.)

2. I first tried some steps from Knowledge Base article 26602:

a) I set up Retrospect Launcher to run automatically under my user account name, computer name, and password (I am also the Administrator; I would have set it to the Administrator accout, but it is not listed when I go to Control Panel-> User Accounts and I couldn't find where to log on as "The Administrator"), and rebooted.

B) I set up Retrospect security permissions to "Always run Retrospect as the specified user," and put in the same user account name, computer name, and password as I did for the Retrospect Launcher. It would not take my password (it gave me the error message: "The provided login information is invalid.")

c) The article also said "Users in a Domain should enter the domain name in the "log on to" field of the security preferences. If you are in a workgroup enivornment, enter the local computer name into the field." I don't know if I am in a domain or workgoup. I used what it said my computer name was.

3. Next, I installed the "Retrospect Client" on my computer (I only have one computer with two internal hard drives that are partitioned into drives F:, G:, and H: and one external hard drive K:) in addition to the "Retrospect" application from the distribution disk, and rebooted my computer? At the time, settings were: a) Administration Tools->Services->Retrospect Launcher:Automatic, my user account name, my computer, a password B) Retrospect->Configure->Preferences-> "Always run Retrospect as the specified user": my user account name, my computer name and password=blank (I tried putting in my password [the one I used with Administration Tools->Services->Retrospect Launcher:Automatic, my user account name, my computer, a password] but it would not take it)

4. Using the "Working with Clients" section of the user's manual, I tried the following:

a) First, I checked the Configure->Licenses: and discovered that it still said 2 licenses, 2 available, 0 used

B) The manual said: "before you can back up a client computer, you need to add it to Retrospect's client database. When you add a client, Retrospect's License Manager decrements the available pol of client licenses (if applicable). So I went to: Conifigure->Clients and the Backup Clients Database dialogue came up, it was blank so I clicked on the "Add" button to supposedly bring up the Live Network window to get the list of computers with Retrospect Client installed. The dialog box said: "Searching for backup clients....". I let it run all day while I was at work and it never found anything.

4. Should Retrospect Client work when the Backup computer and the Client computer are the same, which is my case?

5. When I tried to do an immediate backup, it gave me the error message: "Retrospect could not be started under the specified user account and is running under Local System instead."

6. I have checked the log for run and it appears that it is actually backing up directories with changes and new data and I have tried successfully to retrieve data from these latest snapshots. So, if the worst case scenario comes about, and I cannot make the error messages go away, can I trust these backups or will the situation ultimately deteriorate to where the backups will not occur?

7. The Knowledge Base Article #26602 also said: "Permission errors may occur under the following conditions:

a) When the script was created you were logged in as user X. At the time of backup you are logged in as user Y who does not have permission to connect to the source server. I am the only person who can log in to my user account on my computer. I am assuming "log in" means when I enter my Windows password to get to the desktop.

B) When the script was created you were logged in as user X. At the time of the backup you are not logged in. I am the only person who can log in to my user account on my computer. I am assuming "log in" means when I enter my Windows password to get to the desktop.

c) You may need to configure the Retrospect Launcher Service to automatically log into the shared network using a non-"system" account for proper login to the shared network volume as follows: .... and I followed the exact instructions for setting the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Retrospect Launcher to log into my computer user account name (see 2a above).

8. I don't know of anything else to try. I really do like Retrospect and it has worked fine for well over a year until very recently. I bought it when I have a total system crash. It took me about 3 months to recover data from my hard drive. I have over 40 GB of genealogy data representing 10 years of intensive research. I have used Retrospect ever since to do nightly backups of my data. So, I really do want to get this resolved or at least know that the current backups are stable and secure.

Thanks so much for your patience with a novice who really appreciates what Retrospect can do but doesn't understand anything about how computers or software works (but is very willing to try anything that someone suggests).

Madeline

doh.gifIn a message dated 6/24/2004 5:25:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, forums@dantz.com writes:

natew replied in a thread you have selected as one of your favorites at the site:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=42839

Hi

Actually Retrospect client should work with a minumum of setup. The client just allows you to easily connect to a machine on your network. You don't need a "server" or anything like that.

It is worth a try at least. It will make your backups much easier

Nate

Madeline,

I have to apologize as I did not ask you enough questions up front. The client is for backing up another computer over a network. I did not realize you were getting the 1017 errors when you were backing up your local hard disks.

Again my apologies.

You do not need the client nor do you need to configure the launcher service. I would put the Retrospect launcher service back to the state it was originally and set the Retrospect security preferences to use the "logged on user".

Did you get error 1017 on all of your files or just some of them?

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

Thank you again for your prompt reply. Your patience is remarkable. No need to apologize. I am not very computer literate and probably didn't describe it very well, not knowing the terminology. Since the last email I have returned the Administrative->Services-> to "Local System" and the Retrospect->Configuration->Preferences->Security to "logged-in user". But I still get the error messages. I get this message for each directory/folder that it tries to back up (about 30-40). The good news is that it still backs up the directory and I can restore from the snapshots. I will still continue to use Retrospect since it has been very reliable in the past.

I did think of one thing that was different lately. I had some difficulty with accessing some directories several weeks ago. I was on the phone for several hours with Dell and Microsoft trying to troubleshoot why it would blow me back to the desktop when I tried to access certain directories. There was no real resolution other than suggesting that I shorten my file/directory names and move them higher up the directory hierarchy (right under C:). But in the process of troubleshooting, they had me bring up the system under an early working configuration, which was a couple of months prior. Upon reflection, I don't think we ever returned it to the "current" configuration. Could this be contributing to my current problem? I haven't tried to test anything related to this because I don't know how to get to the same point they did and it seems to me I could really mess the whole computer up if I make a mistake.

Thanks for your continued help with this problem.

Madeline

I am having almost identical issues (that's why I am in this forum).

I am running 6.5 on an XP computer. I have a Lacie NAS set up as my backup destination and I have been unable to establish a single unattended backup. Depending on how I change the configuration I either get 1017 (insufficient permissions) or 1116 (can't access network volume). It seems that either Retrospect can't see the drive or when it can, it can't login into it.

I've tried backing up to //NAS/BACKUP, I've tried mapping it as Drive X: and specifying it that way. I have the 'Login As' set with the NAS Admin account and it doesn't seem to matter. I even set up a special Admin account with a Password and setup up the services to 'Run as User'. I just can't get it working.

I am ready to re-install and try over, but I figure I am going to have the same problems all over again. Any recommendations? Is there a base line document that can walk me through this process? Unfortunately the manual doesn't really discuss this problem in a coherent fashion, it talks about backing up to a network drive in 5 or 6 sections and I get the feeling I am missing some really basic aspect of this.

Mark

Hi

It is quite possible that the problems you had before and the trouble with Retrospect are related. You could try restoring the configuration back to what it was but I'm not sure if that is going to help.

If I had to guess I would say there is a problem with the security settings for your user account. As a test I would add another user (in the windows control panel) to this machine and give them administrator privileges. Then log in as that user and try to run Retrospect.

If you make a copy of these files to a different folder on the disk can you back them up without error?

Thanks

Nate

Hi Mark

Set the "log in as" Retrospect security setting to be the local administrator of the computer that Retrospect is installed on. (I know this makes no sense - just trust me)

Then go to the configure->volumes window in Retrospect and setup the normal windows login information for the NAS

If you have manually changed the launcher service be sure to undo your changes.

Thanks

Nate

Nate -

I have the 'Login As' for the network volume set on all my scripts (just an FYI, my login for the network volume is MCarson which is different from my local login if that matters). When I go to 'preferances' and 'security' is the problem.

I click 'always run retrospect as the specified user'. I have two profiles on the machine that is running Retrospect, Mark and Work, both are set up as computer administrator. The Work profile does not have a password so I use 'Mark' and enter my password and it says 'can't grant necessary user privileges'. I try the .\Mark format and it doesn't like that either.

Mark

Nate -

In the Configure/ Volumes section I already have it set up as \\NAS\Work\Backup with a login of MCarson, PW XXXX. etc

When I go to preferances/Security and select "Always Run Retrospect as Specified User" and put in my XP login it says "Can't grant necessary user priveleges" and just closes the preferances window (which should be on the bug list since it is so annoying). When I got back in it hass reverted to "Run as logged-In user". I have two profiles, both are Admin level and one has a password and the other does not. Neither one works. I have tried several formats, Mark, \.Mark, etc. Can't seem to get it to accept it.

It doesn't seem to take anything in the 'Logon To' section so I leave that blank.

Mark

Hi

Quote:

When I go to preferances/Security and select "Always Run Retrospect as Specified User" and put in my XP login it says "Can't grant necessary user priveleges" and just closes the preferances window (which should be on the bug list since it is so annoying). When I got back in it hass reverted to "Run as logged-In user". I have two profiles, both are Admin level and one has a password and the other does not. Neither one works. I have tried several formats, Mark, \.Mark, etc. Can't seem to get it to accept it.

Although it may seem annoying this is not a bug - it is an legitimate error message that can be taken at face value.

try using "administrator" and the administrator password instead of your personal logins. Make sure the administrator account has a password otherwise you will run into trouble. You have specified the local machine in the "log on to" field right?

Thanks

Nate

Nate

I found another post that said mapping the network drive would cause problems with permissions since a machine cannot be logged in twice under XP. I removed the drive mapping and now I get "-1101 Unable to Access" errors. Another problem, which may be related to this, is I keep getting "NAS Weekly Backup.rbf is damaged and cannot be used". This may be causing the 1101 error but the problem is that keep "repairing' the catalog, I back up once and it is damaged again. I have deleted and recreated it but it still gets "damaged" after a single backup. I don't seem to be having any other problems with files on the server so it's not a drive error.

I tried the administrator for the login account and it still says "Can't grant necessary user privileges". I have reset the password and it's not working so as soon as I complete the program I am running I will re-boot. What is supposed to be in the 'Log on to' field? C: or C:\? I have tried combination of that as well as \\NAS\ and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Mark

Update: Still get "Can't grant necessary user privileges" on the admin account after a reboot.

PS: The 'Bug' I was referring to was the fact that after it says ""Can't grant necessary user privileges" it closes the window and you have to re-open your Preferences and select Security.

Just to relate a couple of threads on error 1017:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=multiserver&Number=42347&Forum=All_Forums&Words=insufficient%20permissions&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=36252&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post42347

To turn off OFB use with Retrospect for a specific script, you might try:

Preferences -> [Options] -> Windows -> Open Files -- turn this off.

You may be able to turn off OFB in general (not that I'd want to) by stopping the Volume Shadow service.

Can somone tell me this:

What is the proper format for preferences/security/ 'always run as specified user'

User: Administrator OR \.Administrator OR .Administrator

Password: N / A

Log on To: C OR C: OR C:\ OR \\NAS\Backup OR \.Administrator

None of these combinations work, if I leave Log On To I get 'unable to grant necessary privileges' if I put ANYTHING in Log On To I get a different error message saying 'Provided Login Information is invalid'. It would help if I knew what I was 'Logging Into', a user account? A Network Location?

Mark

Hi Madeline,

I went into DUPLICATE. When the next window appears I clicked on OPTIONS.

Then clicked on WINDOWS/OPEN FILES

Then unchecked Duplicate Open Files

I don't have a CLIENT license so unchecking this eliminated the insufficient permissions.

The same thing MIGHT be able to be done using BACKUP.

This helped me and I hope it helps you.

Jack

Archived