File "xyz": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

evm

Hi,

My last 2 backups have failed with this error ( one per file that was marked for backup, or roughly 30,000 errors ). Retrospect does not offer any explanation for this problem.

Ideas?

Cheers,

- evm

Additional info: There are two computers that get backed-up. Only the computer actually running Retrospect is experiencing the errors. The other computer gets backed-up fine to the CD-RW.

Update:

I was finally able to get the backup to work, but I wasn't very scientific about it as my patience was running thin. Things I did:

1. Increased available disk space ( previously had 3GB free, now 4GB )

2. Turned off hibernation ( don't know how/when that got enabled on my desktop ).

3. Deleted entire history within Retrospect ( no logs were previously deleted in past 2 years ).

4. Closed Mozilla Thunderbird ( only application that was installed within the last week ).

5. Ran Retrospect manually and selected the next scheduled backup to run immediately.

Best guess at the moment is available disk space ( perhaps Open Backup/Shadow Volume/number of files to backup ).

Update:

The automated backup script failed again last night, so it isn't disk space, hibernation, or Thunderbird. Appears that launching as a service no longer works.

I've modified the service to use an administrator account, even though there are no errors regarding permissions.

Anyone from Dantz care to chime in?

Hi

So to clarify, you only get the error 1101 when you try to backup the local disk on the backup machine? If you set a script to run 5 minutes from now and close Retrospect does it auto launch? What OS is the backup machine?

Thanks

Nate

Hi,

Yes, local disk on backup machine ( Windows XP Professional ).

Auto-launching has always worked, and still does ( program launches, goes through the motions, etc. ). The difference is now there is an error for each file it attempts to backup on the backup machine.

My script does not backup on weekends, so I will have to wait until this evening to know if setting an Admin account instead of Local System helps.

Cheers.

Update:

After setting Retrospect service to use an Admin account, Retrospect failed to auto-launch 3 days in a row ( even after numerous reboots ). Manually launching Retrospect ran the waiting scripts, but failed with the same errors ( no files copied to CD ).

I then updated Retrospect to 6.5.350 ( was using the previous update ), set the service back to Local System, and updated my Plextor 161040's firmware ( worth a try ).

The error information now reported is slightly different in that it adds the text "security information" ( e.g. File "xyz": can't read security information, error -1101 (file/directory not found) ). However, Retrospect says it actually copied modified files to the CD ( previously, no files were copied when error -1101 was reported ).

I will try to restore a few files later today to verify that they were indeed backed-up.

Cheers.

Hi

Did you manually edit the laucher service or set the log on preferences in the Retrospect security section? Manually configuring the launcher service in Retrospect 6.5 will likely prevent Retrospect from autolaunching.

Thanks

Nate

Archived