USB Goes Offline While Backup (Duplicate) Running

Hello,

I just migrated from a Toshiba TE2100 to a Toshiba M2. Brought over the USB drive I was using for back up (IBM Travelstar in a FireXpress 250SX USB2.0 case). Never a problem one with the 2100, but with the M2, once Retrospect starts the duplication it gets about 50 meg into the process and the system sees the drive as having been unplugged from the USB port. Everything fails at that point. The drive only fails when being used by Retrospect (6.5)...

I've reloaded the USB drivers, and Enabled NT SCSI pass through but neither had a postive affect.

Suggestions?

-richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

When Retrospect writes to a hard disk it uses the built in Windows drivers to access the device. I suspect that the amount of data Retrospect is pushing to the device is overwhelming the driver or the USB port. Is this disk bus powered or does it have its own power supply? I would try plugging it in to a power supply if you haven't already

Nate

• 6 months later...

I am having the SAME problem...........my computer will suddenly DROP the external Buslink HD.........the Buslink is an external HD plugged into a USB 2 port that came with the Buslink HD......and the Buslink is plugged into its own electrical outlet.....through its own power supply.....

• 2 years later...

I've been struggling with the same problem for months (USB drives appear to disconnect from Retrospect but are fully available in Windows XP Pro explorer). I have this happen with 3 different USB Iomega drives and a LaCie drive. Retrospect will completely hang and nothing short of a power-off computer shutdown seemed to close Retrospect, until I discovered that disconnecting the USB drive will shut down Retrospect.

If I then re-power the drive and re-start Retrospect, I can run a complete backup. When it goes to run the same job the next night, it fails again (can't see the drive). The computer is a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion 1350n, 2 gigs of ram, dual-core processors. I've tried switching the USB ports. All drives have their own power supplies. I would love some further assistance on this.

Archived