Cannot backup one client - PDS exception error

FSim

Hi-

I'm using Retrospect Server 6.5 on Win Server 2003. I have sucessfully setup the backup to run and backup about 10 machines, running Win95, Win2K, WinXP, Mac OS9 and MacOSX. So I know the server is probably ok.

The problem I have is with a single client machine running Win2K SP4.

Here is the log extract...

6/10/2004 11:03:28 AM: Connected to Fraser

* Resolved container Fraser to 2 volumes:

Drive C (C:) on Fraser

Maxtor (E:) on Fraser

- 6/10/2004 11:03:28 AM: Copying Drive C (C:) on Fraser

T-22: main: transaction terminated by PDS exception

Trouble reading files, error -523 (service transaction error)

6/10/2004 11:04:59 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 179418 files, 56.3 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:01:31 (00:01:20 idle/loading/preparing)

- 6/10/2004 11:05:04 AM: Copying Maxtor (E:) on Fraser

T-40: main: transaction terminated by PDS exception

6/10/2004 11:05:43 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 52077 files, 48.2 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Duration: 00:00:38 (00:00:38 idle/loading/preparing)

6/10/2004 11:05:45 AM: Execution incomplete

Total duration: 00:02:14 (00:01:59 idle/loading/preparing)

I know the machines can talk to each other. I check the connection speed in the clients window by clicking refresh - the speed was about 11,000kb/s (100MBit connection).

No firewall running on the client and I have reinstalled the client without any difference.

Please help!!

I am experiencing a very similar problem with a slightly different server setup.

I'm using Retrospect Server 6.0 on a win2k machine. It has been successfully running backups on winME, win2k, winXP, MacOSX clients.

I have one machine running Win2k where i receive the same error message as above...

...T-17: main: transaction terminated by PDS exception

The client is connected to the server as verified in the client's property window.

In fact i was able to do a remote update of the client installation from 5.6 to 6.0!

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling client software...uninstalling/reinstalling network card, reboot, reinstall client...all to no avail.

Please advise!

Ok.

Firstly last night it was able to backup drive E when the client was not logged in. drive C generated the same error.

I am able to backup drive C via the network share C$ with performance in the mid-100's MB/min. So no problems with the network either.

It must be a problem with the client!

Note: this client had retrospect express installed on it previously - could this somehow conflict the client installation...

Hi

Retrospect Express won't affect this.

Can you backup a subvolume from the machine? It is possible that this is caused by an invalid folder name. Backing up subvolumes will help determine where that problem folder is.

Try running scan disk on the problem disk. Also uninstall and Reinstall the network card driver. Even though it is working well for other services it still may be having trouble with Retrospect client.

Nate

• 1 month later...

I've attempted to backup a subdirectory, but i get the same error! Here is a recent excerpt (before i tried backing up a random subdirectory) from the log:

- 7/26/2004 8:51:13 AM: Copying Datadrive (D:) on VANGUARD

7/26/2004 8:51:13 AM: Connected to VANGUARD

T-17: main: transaction terminated by PDS exception

7/26/2004 8:53:33 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 15235 files, 8.7 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB, with 0% compression

Duration: 00:02:20 (00:02:16 idle/loading/preparing)

Any ideas why this isn't working?

• 2 weeks later...

No internet security apps installed (no firewalls, etc) and we are running Kapersky Anti-Virus which has no effect on the problem when they are disabled. Currently i'm running a windows port of rsync (cygwin's cwrsync) to run backups to a usb drive on the troubled machine. But that shouldn't affect the retrospect backup program. The machine has no problem communicating with other machines on the network. No other unusal apps that i can think of...

Archived