Drive Errors to External Firewire

Hi Gang, I am running Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.205 on a beige G3, with two Other World Comuting Mercury external FW drives. These ran fine for 2 years, and I just started having a problem. I was having issues where the drive wouuld quit responding. I would see a system error on the computer saying that a FW disk has quit responding, freezing my system. I sent the drive and case to the manufacturer for warrantee work. I got the drive back, and am still getting errors. I put one backup set on the 'fixed' drive, and I got a string of (probably thousands of these) errors in the log in reference to the backup set living on the fixed drive.

'Bad Backup Set Header Found (0x0a06616c at 5,805,880)'

Anain, I have 2 of the same model of drives on this machine. One works fine, the other prodcues this error. I have tried different FW ports and cables, same problem. The manufacturer has some tools and say that the drive is fine.

Can anyone decode this error? I'm guessing that the error is referencing a sector of the HD this has issues. How can I convince the manufacturer to do more warrantee work on it? I hooked it up to another machine, and transferred a 2GB file with no problem. The issue seems specific to Retrospect.

Thanks for any help!

Hi

Update to Retrospect 5.0.238 from the Dantz updates page (its free)

Then go to configure ->backup sets and configure the backup set in question. Click on "seperate catalog" if it is available. Do not click on "combine".

Then go to the tools -> repair screen and rebuild the catalog file for this set.

Thanks

Nate

Hi

It is best to make a spare copy of the Library/Preferences/Retrospect/retro.config file.

Then run an uninstall with the Retrospect setup program and reboot the machine. Reinstall only the 5.0.238 version and copy the config file back to its original location.

This will preserve all of your scripts and settings while giving you a "Clean" install of the latest version.

Nate

Archived