Erasing DVD disc takes a long time

Devildog

Hi all,

I'm using Retrospect 6.5 for WinXP Pro, and have it connected via NT passthrough to a Plextor PX-708A drive.

I've found that backing up to DVD+RW discs takes a very long time because Retrospect erases the entire disc, even though the disc is blank and never been used. The erasure takes 30 minutes with 4x DVD+RW capable drive/media, that backs up data at a rate of 320MB/min in Retrospect (once erasure is complete).

Any thoughts on why Retrospect takes so long to erase discs, or why it even bothers on blank pristine media? Even on recycled backup sets/discs, it still erases the entire disc, taking 30 min/disc!

Thanks,

DD

Hi

Optical media is more prone to error than some other media types. As such Retrospect has been built to do a long erase/verify of the disk before it is used. Granted this is an unpopular feature but it is still worthwhile (in my opinion anyway...)

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

Optical media is more prone to error than some other media types. As such Retrospect has been built to do a long erase/verify of the disk before it is used. Granted this is an unpopular feature but it is still worthwhile (in my opinion anyway...)

Thanks

Nate

THat feature was poorly thought out.

Retrospect needs to give the user the option to choose a full erase, as the user may have already done so with other software.

• 4 weeks later...

Quote:

THat feature was poorly thought out.

Retrospect needs to give the user the option to choose a full erase, as the user may have already done so with other software.

Even with Retrospect, as I just discovered, to my dismay. I thought I'd prep a new DVD+RW, and so did a long erase through Config Devices. I took the default name of Untitled. When I went to use it in a backup, however, Retrospect erased it again, for another 30-40 minutes lost. Ridiculous.

Abe

Archived