How To Preview A Backup

I'm trying to preview what files will be added to a backup. I open an immediate backup window (it has executed once) and click the preview button. It scans (this take a long time - about 200K files). If I let it run in the background then when I bring it to the forground after completing it starts the scan all over. Very annoying.

I let it complete in the forground (so nice having a pre-emptive machine!) and it told me it was going to copy 301 files - but I need to see which files (preferably sorted by size) so I can add to my selector to weed out the ones I don't want in the backup. How do I get such information?

Sean

Can you not see this information in the Preview browser window that opens up after the scan? Any file with a checkmark next to it is selected for backup; every file with a diamond next to it is already in the backup. The files Retrospect will actually copy are those with a checkmark and no diamond.

You can change the view options of the browser from the Browser menu. This allows you to sort by size as well as other criteria.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Actually no - in the preview window that came up it had only one file marked (although in the Backup window it noted 300 files would be backed up). Maybe I clicked on something though. If I didn't have to sit and wait for 20 minutes without touching the machine I might have better luck. Also, there doesn't seem to be anyway to only show the marked files. sorting through 300 files in a list of 200K files seems like a daunting task - not to mention that moving around in a list of 200K files is _slow_ (I'm impressed that it works at all!).

There's actually a hidden preference for the scanning bit:

From the special tab, option-click the preferences button. Under "programmer," uncheck "Rescan Volumes on Resume." This prevents Retrospect from scanning when you're switching back and forth between active applications.

As for the display, I can forward a suggestion to our developer to include an option like "only show highlighted" or similar.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived