TMemory::mhalloc: VirtualAlloc error in RP 6.5.350

awnews

I get the following "mhalloc" message when trying to backup from a (Linux) server to another harddrive. I'm running on a Windows XP SP1 PC with a 2.5G P4, a gig of SDRAM and many, many gigs of free HD space everywhere. RP 6.5.350, RDU 4.9.101.

I'm glad that Dantz programmers use C++ and messages regarding mhallac calls are fascinating, but what is the user supposed to do about this? A gig of RAM should be plenty for any machine (with Retrospect + assorted background stuff running right now, 800MB of RAM is free) and Retrospect shouldn't be taking up nearly that under any conditions...

As another note, although this shows up in the Operations log, no related error message is put into the Event log.

+ Recycle backup using MTV_Server_LS1_to_N at 5/10/2004 10:00 PM

To Backup Set MTV_Server_LS1_to_N...

5/10/2004 10:00:06 PM: Recycle backup: The Backup Set was reset

- 5/10/2004 10:00:06 PM: Copying project on Ls1

TMemory::mhalloc: VirtualAlloc(430.5 M, MEM_RESERVE) failed, error 8

TMemory::mhalloc: VirtualAlloc(430.5 M, MEM_RESERVE) failed, error 8

Scanning incomplete, error -625 (not enough memory)

While scanning volume project,

Folder \\LS1\project\hw\hw_tools\caden...,

Duplicate dirid detected: 0x00000000

Folder \\LS1\project\.snapshot\hourly....,

---- a bunch of similar entries deleted ----

Folder \\LS1\project\.snapshot\nightly...,

Folder \\LS1\project\.snapshot\nightly...,

Scanning incomplete, error -1123 (volume structure corrupt)

TMemory::mhalloc: VirtualAlloc(417.5 M, MEM_RESERVE) failed, error 8

TMemory::mhalloc: VirtualAlloc(417.5 M, MEM_RESERVE) failed, error 8

As a followup, I ran the backup again while keeping an eye on it. At its peak, before I stopped it, the backup set had reached 1.8M files and 560GB of data to back up. Memory usage was over 600MB. This, is somewhat misleading, however, because my selector would have disregarded much of this data, although RP would still have to process it. AT this point, RP had already recorded mhallac error messages in the log although it hadn't put any error messages/dialogs up on the screen.

So it appears that this backup is too big for Retrospect to handle currently and I'll have to find a way to break it into multiple smaller backups. However this doesn't let the program off the hook--it should still provide useful error messages, degrade gracefully and find a way to handle large amounts of breaking it into manageable chunks given memory and disk space limitations.

Hi GoAWest

It takes a bunch of memory to list all the files and folders of a drive but you are right in thinking that 1GB should be enough. This is something we are looking into.

Have you tried increasing the virtual memory size on the machine?

Thanks

Nate

The paging (VM) file on this PC is set to 1.5G (starting minimum) with a maximum of 3G.

I don't think I'm going to set it any higher. It might work, but I think the current situation is showing that I've pushed RP beyond its limits. Instead I've broken up the backup of the source into smaller chunks (subvolumes) that RP seems to be able to back up.

Hopefully Dantz can improve the situation (e.g. handling, messages, degradation at the expense of speed, etc.) in a future version.

Archived