OS 9 hangs when trying to delete already archived files

Thats a customers config:

- Mac OS 9.1 @ PowerMac 7300/166

- Retropsect WorkGroup 5.1.177

- sharing an archive folder using OS internal FileSharing, no ASIP installed

- SONY AIT-1 LIB-D81 @ Adaptec 2940UW SCSI

Any file/folder that was copied over local network to this archive folder should be archived to tape once a day and should be deleted after successful verification. The next morning the whole system hangs and must be resetted using cmd-ctrl-poweron. Retrospect copies all files successfully to tape but hangs when starting to delete those already archived files from harddisk.

Mac OS 9.1 was installed on a formatted internal harddisk, Retropsect was then installed from a freshly downloaded web archive. Archiving was done by a new script entered by hand, no conversion or importing. The script did its job well about two or three times at night, but now hangs every night. The already archived data was deleted manually after the machine was up again in the morning.

Could please somebody help?

TIA

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Can you verify that the format of the disk on the client machine is Mac OS extended? Retrospect 5.0 and above use native HFS+ file system calls that can cause problems on older file systems.

The power settings for both machines are "always on" correct?

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate,

thanks for replying. The mac Retrospect is on, is the same the data to be archived is on. Before installing everything freshly, I did format both internal SCSI harddisks (one for OS, and one for archive data) using Disk Utility from Apples Mac OS 9.1 Installation CD. I'm quite sure that it creates HFS+ partitions by default (although I did not had an eye on it ). And there is NO power saving at all (disk, monitor and mac always on).

To be sure there are no directory errors, I double checked both HD using AlSoft's DiskWarrior - no problems found.

Bernd

Not at all!

I did a clean Install on a formatted disk just OS 9.1 and Retrospect.

I considered locked files to be responsible for these hangs, but there was not a single one. I also thought that sharing the archive folder could be the culprit, but Retrospect archives at night when nobody should be connected.

I'd like to know what difference could be made responsible for that behaviour - it worked for years with OS 9.0.4 and Retrospect 4.1. An Upgrade was necessary when customers broken AIT-1 Autoloader needed to be replaced by a newer version of an AIT-1 Autoloader to be compatible with older tapes. SONYs LIB-D81 needs a least Retrospect 5.

Also funny: some smaller amounts of data (~ 1.5 GB) where archived some days ago with no problems, while 6 GB stuck three times before.

THX so far

Bernd

Hi

Can you set the energy saver settings to reboot the mac just before the backup is set to run? That will kick everyone off for sure.

There is also a lock file sharing volumes option in Retrospect that we should try to enable.

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate,

thanks for another reply! Haven't solved that problem yet. But I already have enabled that locking option in Retrospect prefs.

Restarting the whole system before archiving seems to be a bit more than I like, but I will try of course.

I have two more ideas I have not yet tried:

1. Increase Retrospect memory in Info Dialog and

2. Try version 5.0 instead of 5.1

Any comments?

TIA

Bernd

Hi

Those are both valid things to try. If you up the memory, only raise preferred memory up to 50 MB or so. Also, option click on the preferences button on the special tab in Retrospect. This will bring up some hidden prefs that allow you to turn off virtual memory.

Nate

Archived