When will you have the Adaptec 39160 Problem sorted out? A large part of why I paid to upgrade my reterospect was because i could use it on a machine with a 39160. I've downgraded my driver to 1.0.2 to no avail. I've had to yank my personal ATTO card from my home server just to get my office backed up. I understand that you're working on it and things like this can take time and all that, but PLEASE could you give us at least a solid estimate! I've already had to convince my over budget department to upgrade to retro 5 SERVER ... (yes in the long run it should be better) ... i don't think I can pull out another 90 for an Initio 9100UW (it's the cheapest supported 68 pin adapter).

peet

• 2 weeks later...

peet asks:

When will you have the Adaptec 39160 Problem sorted out?

Do you believe that Dantz can control the way that Adaptec host adapters work with Mac OS X?

As I understand how Retrospect works, it makes calls to the devices (such as tape drives) and expects these calls will be passed through whatever bus the device is on. If the bus doesn't communicate commands cleanly then Retrospect isn't going to work. Dantz can't anticipate how a particular card is going to muck up the commands!

Heck, Apple almost shipped OS X without any scsi support at all; this is most assuredly a work in progress, and has to be sorted out by Apple and the hardware vendors.

Better SCSI support in general is a very high priority for us. It isn't strictly in our court though -- that's why we're working with Apple and Adaptec very closely.

SCSI support is improving with each OS update, and Adaptec is also investingating and/or releasing updates for OS X support. We're looking into potential problems, and working to get the information we need to fix them.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

After fooling around a little, I updated the Adaptec driver to v1.0.2 rather than v1.1 (or v1.0.0) and am able to run a reliable backup. However, I cannot mount my RAID on the same card. As the backup is just a little more CRITICAL, I keep on plugging away while awaiting an update from Adaptec.

Archived