Turning off other software when running Retrospect

kaikow

In one, or more, threads in these foruns and, likely, elsewhere, I have previously stated that when I run Retrospect te only thing I disable is AutoProtect in NAV.

This results in one error due to the scanner software, the smaPanel.ini file. I know not why that file would change when I'm not using the scanner (which is unplugged most of the time).

And, infrequently, am error due to wbemcore.log. As as I know, that file is part of Win 2000.

Neither of those errors seems to matter.

A few daze ago, I finally got around to installing VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office). In preparation, I installed SQL Server Developer that came with VSTO.

SQL causes lots of errors to be reported when Retrospect is run, so I now have SQL Server stopped, except when I need to (ab)use the critter. Most certainly stopped when running Retrospect.

Having the scanner software and Roxio's Drag To Disk running does not seem to cause errors when running Retrospect.

Hi Howard,

I suspect the errors you saw were 1020 errors? Running databases cause that a lot. One way to backup SQL is to have SQL export its databases to a static file then backup that file with Retrospect. You'll still get the errors but you'll also get a backup.

Personally I prefer your solution...

Nate

Quote:

Hi Howard,

I suspect the errors you saw were 1020 errors? Running databases cause that a lot. One way to backup SQL is to have SQL export its databases to a static file then backup that file with Retrospect. You'll still get the errors but you'll also get a backup.

Personally I prefer your solution...

Nate

Ayup, they were 1020 errors.

Stopping the server is the best solution.

Archived