Media in Backup Sets not filled at all, requesting new media

I have Retrospect 6.5 running with a Dell PV132T, withe RS6.5 with the latest updates.

Certain backup sets are skipping non-full members in their sets and filling other members. It's putting ~50 MB on one tape (Ultrium2, 200GB uncompressed) and then going on to others. Sets fill up pre-maturely, and then it stops all executions until it gets a new member, which may or may not work. It also sometimes partially fills up a tape, skips the next one and leaves it blank with zero K, and starts filling up the next one.

I've resorted to switching out teh 2 problem sets and putting in nwe tapes, but what is going on?

-Matt

There are no errors in the log file. Only sometimes will it pop up an error saying the backup set is out of sync. Repairing the catalog file by updating it does not solve the problem

SCSI card is:

Adaptec SCSI Card 39160 Ultra 160 SCSI

The drivers for the tape drives are disabled when retrospect is up and running, but the driver for the Dell PV132T Medium Changer is not.

Drivers:

Retrospect 6.5.343

Driver Update: 4.8.108

Hi

Make sure the tape drive and loader are disabled in device manager all the time. Windows drivers can interfere with communication to the device.

The out of sync messages are a good indication that there is an I/O problem of some kind. Essentially the information in the catalog file does not match the data on the tapes. This happens when disk writes fail or SCSI communication is faulty (among other things).

Doublecheck cables and termination. I would also try the SCSI card in a different PCI slot. Does slowing down the transfer rate on the SCSI adapter make any difference? Have you tried installing ASPIINST located within the Retrospect program folder?

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe this will help.

I re-did the backup sets with new tapes, and it has worked flawlessly until 2 days ago. I went in under "backup sets" and opened up the sets with the problems, and under options i clicked "Don't Skip" and it released the message requesting new media, and has been working ever since.

-Matt

Archived