Error 10049 when attaching to clients

I upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows XP and from Retrospect 6.0 to 6.5.343 with driver update 4.9.101. Backup Clients 0 used, 2 available.

I have 2 client computer on my network now connected via NetGear Router RP614.

When I try to attach to the client computers (running Windows98) , Live Network dialog just sits there with "Searching for backup clients"

I also somtimes receive a message in the log "mcipXmit: sento() failed with error 10049"

I cannot find any documentation on error 10049.

Any suggestions!!!

Answers to your questions:

Is the Firewall active on the windows XP Machine? No

Internet Connection Firewall: NOT CHECKED

Can you ping the client machines for the XP Computer? Yes

Through Live Network/Test Dialog, I can retrieve the client data

Are all of the computers still on the same IP subnet: Yes

This was the hardest question. I was not sure how to tell.

After much research, they are all on the same IP subnet The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 for all the computers.

Hi

You mentioned an upgrade from win98. Did you do a clean install of XP or did you run the upgrade over the top of the existing system?

Your network drivers may be in a bad state. Uninstall your network card in the windows device manager and then restart the machine. This should reinstall your network drivers and hopefully sort this out. Chances are this is something on your machine rather than a problem with the client.

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

The upgrade from win98 to XP was on a new computer so it is a clean install.

After some additional testing, I discovered that error 10049 was caused by Norton Internet Security blocking internet communications. I corrected that problem but still did not solve the problem that Resptospect cannot find backup clients. It just sits there and says “Searching for backup clients” even after 10 minutes. It does not return a message that it cannot find any clients.

My configuration consists of

Desktop 01 -- Pentium 4 Computer running Windows XP Professional

Retrospect 6.5 – 343 Driver Update 4.9.101

Norton Internet Security NIS – Problems do not go away even when I disable NIS

Desktop 02 -- Pentium 4 Computer running Window ME

Retrospect 6.5 – Client 6.5.132

Laptop 03 -- Pentium 3 Computer running Window 98SE

Retrospect 6.5 – Client 6.5.132

Router -- NetGear RP614 Key Settings: RIP Direction Both, RIP Version RIP-1, DHCP Server

Retrospect can find all the network volumes defined.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Dick

For what it is worth I have been experiencing a lot of trouble with Norton Internet Security and have actually removed it from several client machines. My feeling is the built in Windows XP firewall is adequate and far less trouble than NIS. You might try removing it to see if that resolves your problem, you can always reinstall it later. Also re the product activation I have removed and reinstalled NIS several times with no trouble on product activation so far. Even had one case where we replaced clients old computer and then used the same NIS that was installed on old computer and it sailed right through. Not sure if they are allowing a minimal number of reinstalls or if the entire thing is a bluff?

Archived