Client not visible on the network...

dvaklyes

but it really is visible.

Just upgraded to 5 (including the recent update of 5) on my home network. Running the application on my B&W G3/300 (OS 9.2.1) , backing up to a 120 GB Firewire Drive. Installed the client license code just fine. Did a complete removal of the old client (including preferences) on my wife's TiPB/550 (OS 9.2.1) and installed the new client and restarted. Control panel looks good, says it is awaiting the first access.

When I try to access the client, it shows up just fine in the network listing, but when I click "Logon" it replies "Can't log in, error -1028. Client not visible on the network" Doesn't make any sense - can anyone clue me in as to what the problem is?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

So now when you go to Configure > Clients, no clients show up, correct?

Do both computers have a valid IP address?

If you open the client contol panel does it say that it's a TCP/IP client or an AppleTalk client?

Can you ping the other computer from your computer?

Actually, no. When I go to the clients screen, the PowerBook shows up as a TCP/IP client. When I select it and click on the logon button that's when it tells me the client is not visible. That's what is baffling me - the client is clearly there, and part of Retrospect is seeing it, but not the part that counts.

Is this an Airport client?

Do you have routers, hubs or firewalls?

Can you ping the client?

Do both machines have a valid IP address?

Can you try connecting them with a crossover cable? This kind of behavior can indicate that UPD packets are transmitting (that's how Retrospect finds the client) but that TCP packets are not (because of a firewall, router, etc.).

Is this an Airport client?: No

Do you have routers, hubs or firewalls?: Yes (more later)

Can you ping the client?: Didn't try

Do both machines have a valid IP address?: Yes

Can you try connecting them with a crossover cable?: Didn't try

This kind of behavior can indicate that UPD packets are transmitting (that's how Retrospect finds the client) but that TCP packets are not (because of a firewall, router, etc.).

Bingo - replaced a 10/100 Switch with a 10 Base T Hub and the problem resolved. Don't understand why the switch is a problem (I do backups through a switch at another site), but the backups are working fine. Now I just have to find a 10/100 hub to use.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

Archived