Can't access Backup Set... error -1101

Hey all,

I defined a script (using EasyScript) to just backup my laptop whilst docked to an external USB2 hard drive. Every time the script starts unattended, it dies with the error "Can't access Backup Set xxx, error-1101 (file/directory not found). I relaunch Retrospect and do an immediate backup to the same backup set with no problem. I've checked it and re-checked it, and when I quit Retrospect I do the check media thing and all - it says all is well. But the script just refuses to see the backup set - but it's there and healthy for immediate manual backups.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi

Are you logged out when the EZscript runs? The USB drive is fully powered all the time right?

So the destination disk is physically attached to the machine where Retrospect is installed? Are you backing up over a network?

Thanks

Nate

• 11 months later...

Can't access Backup Set XXXX on Thurs, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

I'm having the exact same problem, at two different locations. I'm running XP Home, Maxtor One-Touch is phyically connected (via USB) to the machine running Retrospect, backing up locally, and I don't log out of the machine when I leave for the night. The script runs fine when I launch it manually, but not when unatteded (at 10:30pm).

Also, if I go to My Computer I can see the 'E Drive' and it's contents, but if I go to 'Configure-->Devices' in Retrospect the Maxtor does not show. If I go to 'Tools-->Verify Media' it comes back 'execution incomplete'

VERY FRUSTRATING, please advise.

Yeah, me too, as to recognizing my Maxtor. I also gave up on scripts and just do an immediate backup every time. Takes a few minutes more, but worth it to conrol what I want backed up and to prevent problems.

Also, never could get the One-Touch button to do backups properly, soooo, back to the 'ol immediate backup. frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem here. Duplicate works fine, backup does not. If I run the script immediately, it's fine. If I leave it unattended, no dice.

"Can't access Backup Set Thursday F, error -1101 (file/directory not found)".

I thought maybe you had to point it to where you wanted to save the backup set even, so I ran the script and did just that, let it run for a minute (which ran fine) and then killed it. Still get the -1101 when I came back to the machine in the morning.

XP Pro SP2. USB2 Maxtor One Touch drive. Never log out. External drive never goes offline.

Any ideas on this?

Hi Teemo

When you set up a script to run 5 minutes from now, close Retrospect and wait - what happens?

I would bet the external drive is going to sleep and not coming back fast enough for Retrospect to run the backup at night.

Thanks

Nate

Can't access Backup Set Backup Set A, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

7/3/2005 12:21:12 PM: Execution incomplete

Quit at 7/3/2005 12:21 PM

That's what happened when I waited for 5 mins. this time. I don't know abou tthe drive "sleeping", if I go into Explorer and browse it, it's all right there, but for the sake of argument is there a way to make it "stay awake"?

I'm having what might be a similar problem with Retrospect Express. I'm trying to use a script to duplicate my laptop over a network to a device attached to another computer. If I run the operation 'immediately', everything works fine. When I try to run in the middle of the night, or even 10 minutes from now, I get a can't access volume message (error -1017).

A similar script from the machine where the drive is attached works fine every night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Customer David,

I solved my problem by including a username and password in the definition of the Restrospect Launcher Service as described in the article I referenced. That, apparently, gave it the permissions needed. It's been running every night unattended ever since.

To answer your other questions, it's Retrospect Express 5.6.132, and the disk is formatted with a FAT32 file system. And, it is a Maxtor One Touch drive.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Steve

Archived