RS6.5 apparently deprecates RS6.0 network login patch... is this 100% successful at all sites?

churchtown

Quoting from URL...

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26602

• Retrospect 6.0 and earlier

You may need to configure the Retrospect Launcher Service to automatically log into the shared volume using a non-"system" account for proper login to the shared network volume as follows:

Windows NT 4.0

1. Open the Services Control Panel.

2. Select Retrospect Launcher, stop the service and then click the Startup button.

3. In the "Log On As" section select This Account. LocalSystem will appear in the field to the right.

4. Change "LocalSystem" to the account you want to use and then enter your password in the two password fields. (This allows automatic backup while logged in as the specified account, or while logged out.)

5. Restart the Launcher Service.

Windows 2000/XP

1. Open the Services Control Panel under Administrative Tools.

2. Select Retrospect Launcher, stop the service and then click the Startup button.

3. In the "Log On As" section select This Account. LocalSystem will appear in the field to the right.

4. Change "LocalSystem" to the account you want to use and then enter your password in the two password fields.

5. Restart the Launcher Service.

Retrospect 6.5

Retrospect 6.5 and later include an option to configure Retrospect to run under a specific user account. This should allow a backup of a mapped volume without needing to modify the launcher service.

Go to Configure>Preferences>Security. Configure Retrospect to run as a specific user.

You should also go to Configure>Volumes. Get properties on the network volume and configure it for automatic login.

In RS6.0 I had to run that network volume shares login patch for the LAUNCHER. Retrospect activity over the network was successful in both immediate and unattended modes.

In RS6.5 (apparently - see quote above) that patch is not needed, it gets done locally with RS6.5 prefs.

RS6.5 activity over the network is successful in immediate mode only.

RS6.5 activity over the network is unsuccessful in unattended mode - seemingly with or without that patch. I am unable to set the RS6.5 Prefs for this user despite being both the local and network administrator. Attempts to use the unattended mode always clears the password - even for RS6.5's immediate mode use too.

Dantz please advise.

best wishes, Robert

1) Had to be. RS6.5 would *NOT* accept my separate entry. After all I am 'only' the whole site's systems administrator...;~/

2) As above.

RS6.5 has decided that I am not the administrator. Micro$oft and its OS (W2KPRO) has defined me as the administrator. But RS6.5 thinks/knows otherwise. Why? I don't know. It is the only programme I am now running to act in such an arbitrarily idiotic manner. Which was why it has stone-walled me and my work for 4days.

The ever-wonderful David (of DantzEuroSupport) spent 2½hrs with me this morning trying to help resolve some of the myriad of baffling issues that RS6.5 has thrown up in my site's metaphorical operational face.

Thank you David, you are worth every {insert local currency} of your Dantz contract and have been so for the years I have had to call on your services from here in the UK.

best wishes, Robert

Archived