protocols beside TCP/IP

b26440510

Can the clients use a different protocol besides TCP/IP?

One of my boxes is connected to a VPN and the VPN client basically locks that box out of my LAN. When the VPN client is running, no other boxes on my LAN can ping that box and that box can't ping other machines, but NetBUI works.

Do any of the Restrospect packages support NetBUI, or any other protocol that would let this box get backed up?

Quote:

Can the clients use a different protocol besides TCP/IP?

One of my boxes is connected to a VPN and the VPN client basically locks that box out of my LAN. When the VPN client is running, no other boxes on my LAN can ping that box and that box can't ping other machines, but NetBUI works.

Do any of the Restrospect packages support NetBUI, or any other protocol that would let this box get backed up?

HELLO?!!

Is this a Dantz supported forum or user supported forum? If it's a Dantz supported forum I am having second doubts about purchasing software from a company that does not respond to pre-sales inquiries.

Hi

We try to post to the forum on a daily basis but sometimes post and call volume make it impossible for us to everyone.

Retrospect client only works with TCP/IP. If you are using Cisco's vpn client there is a setting that will allow shared lan access. That may help in your situation. The other alternative is to install a second NIC in the machine.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Retrospect client only works with TCP/IP. If you are using Cisco's vpn client there is a setting that will allow shared lan access. That may help in your situation. The other alternative is to install a second NIC in the machine.

I already tried a second NIC. When the VPN client is running, the VPN locks down everything on the PC. The second NIC could not see my LAN and my LAN could not see the second NIC. Also, the Cisco VPN software comes preconfigured and I don't see any settings in it to allow LAN access.

Hi

The allow local access setting also needs to be configured on the server side of the connection. Have you turned off the firewall that is built into the cisco VPN softare?

I use Cisco VPN software all day every day and I have Retrospect working with clients just fine.

Thanks

Nate

Archived