LAN client backups too slow to use on Wireless LAN!?!?!

cgage

I recently called in support to ask why backing up a LAN that is 802.11b (11mbps) is backing up so slow. I get at the most 12mb/min using all the latest 6.5 single server and 6.5.136 client software. The support dept asked me to use a cross-over cable and test. Of course that sped up the backups 1000% percent from 12mb/min to 350mb/min.

Does anyone know of any issues with Wireless LAN's??? My problem is I can share a drive and manually copy MUCH faster than using the Retrospect client. Also, the 5 computers on my LAN that are wireless experience the same throughput (visually) and kbps on downloads as my wired clients. Is there an inherent problem with wireless?

I know the 802.11b protocol allows for a variable speed depending on signal strengh but even taking the worst case scenario it would be faster than 12mb/min. Not to mention all of my wireless clients have 95% signal strength. I am using all Linksys AP's and client hardware (USB) devices. I have serched the Internet to see if others are having the problem but have found nothing.

I also backup a remote server with the same exact problem. However in this case, my LAN is on a DSL (1.5mb down and 384k up) and my server is on a T3. It too gets only 12mb/min.

I have reinstalled, tried from various differnent machines, etc. I am backing up to external 250gb USB/Firewire drive and have tested its speed it is very fast.

I am not using encryption.

HELP! The slowness of the client makes the application unusable to me. I have 2 situations wired and wireless, the net net is 12mb/min (unless I use a direct connect). My LAN is all 10/100 as well and I have no hubs, only 10/100 switches.

Thanks for your help!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have Retrospect 6.5 backing up an old P2 333 laptop on a wireless connection at 50+ MB/sec. I imagine most of the slowness is due to the speed of the laptop in my case.

What kind of CPU useage do you get when the backup is running? You could try downgrading to the Retrospect 6.0 client software. It is implemented much differently that the 6.5 clien and will still give you a good backup.

Nate

Archived