Retro6.0 Pro challenges

gvaught

Greetings. Brand new to this forum.

I have a client who has had Retro6.0 Professional for a year. Recently, her tape drive died and we have opted to go with the CD-RW option to save money and time. The challenge we are encountering is that the backup keeps "failing". Meaning that last night it started (according to the log) and that's it. Never backed up a thing. I came in today to troubleshoot and do an immediate backup and now it won't even list the drive as a backup device (although it is a supported drive and still listed in the environment).

Any suggestions on (1) what the issue is with the backup? (2) what the issue is with the disk drive? (3) how I can ask this question better to get the answer I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Gary Vaught

Consultant

TSG, Inc. :tt

Hi

There are a lot of possibilites but the most likely is 3rd party burning software grabbing hold of the CD drive. This prevents Retrospect from using the CDs in the drive. Is there anything on the screen when the user comes in in the morning?

Nate

I did contact tech support and they have (for now) gotten us up and running. The first thing I had to do was kill all processes related to the InCD software running on this system. Kind of a pain, but if that's what we have to do...

I have other challenges, but I'll put them in a separate thread. Thanx for the feedback.

On my workstation Roxio's ECDC5 Platinum (a burning programme) is forever attempting or succeeding in grabbing 'control' of the DVD/CD drive from Retrospect. A similar thing happens when MusicMatch JukeBox (an MP3 player/recording programme) is running. With all three running then things can get VERY strange! It makes sense to use only one and one time. If you need two then test out all the permutations very carefully indeed. If you need three then you surely need your head examined:-)

best wishes, Robert

Archived