retro 6.5 hangs on immediate backup to ext hd.

cecirdr

I'm using XP on a fujitsu laptop. I want to use an external drive (toshiba) connected to the firewire port. Windows explorer sees the drive fine. I had no trouble making a new backup set with my prior version of retrospect (5.6), but subesquent backups (incremental) hang. The preview sees the modified files with no problem, but if I hit the backup button...the process never kicks off. I can't seem to terminate the process either. I choose my source file, my backup set is seen just fine. I hit the preview button and it appears to calculate the modified files just fine. But it won't kick off the backup when I hit the button! It just hangs there!

I thought it might be an xp incompatibilty so I upgraded to 6.5 of the program. Nope...same problem. This is driving me nuts. After lots of program restarts and lots of operating system reboots (because retropsect still has processes running after forcing a quit), sometimes out of the blue the backup will magically work correctly. BTW...windows hangs on restart..whatever retrospect is doing, can't be closed out so I have to do a hard stop by holding the power button. This is getting scary. When it works, it's speedy, but so far, I've spent my entire morning trying to get one backup to run. When it finally works, it'll be done really fast. But I'm dreading having to do backups due to this problem.

I bought the full version of 6.5, but it saw the older version and did an update install. In the past I also tried to repair my installation of 5.6, but nothing has helped. I used retrospect on my prior macintosh with no troubles, but this is frustrating beyond belief! What gives. I can't see a doggone thing that I can change.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ceci

Thanks. That worked. Actually..I found it just a smackeral before you posted. My backup now works fine. Apparently my searches on the support site didn't file the correct file.

I think (and this is my opinion) that Dantz needs to make this info more accessible. I spent all morning twirling over this. Coming from a mac, I don't know diddly about system restore. I went through the documentation that came with the program and didn't find the information I needed. Perhaps if this data point were included with INSTALL instructions for those backing up to an external drive, it'd save some folks alot of heartache.

Or...make it a top most data point in a trouble shooting file for folks backing up to an external drive. Surely, there's someway to make such a simple procedure VERY ACCESSIBLE. Spending my morning scratching my head and perusing this forum for such a simple thing is extrememly frustrating. What about home users that may not have internet access? Put this in their local documentation or ,better yet, in their install instructions. Not everyone may have or want to use the internet to troubleshoot a program.

<Venting mode off now............>

Ceci

Archived