drive C restored without label; labeled it, now see 2 labels

wscott44

Oy Vey! Something screwed up my main drive this weekend; I think it was after running Executive Software Diskeeper 7.0.428 a few times (it's a defragger). Windows 2000 Pro SP4 no longer booted; got the BSOD. Fortunately, I had been doing nightly backups and had a disaster recovery CD. This is with Retrospect 6.5.343, latest driver.

I did a complete disaster recovery, which formatted my hard drive first. When the drive was restored, the label I had given it via PowerQuest (Symantec) Partition Magic 8 was not there. The problem with that was that Retrospect said it could not access the drive and showed the volume name in the script, but greyed out.

Next I put the label back with Partition Magic. Now I see TWO labels -- one greyed out and one black -- in the both the Backup tools and Restore tools. Now I am dazed and confused. The system is running; I am posting from it; but the restore is not completely up to date and I am nervous. The Disaster Recovery restored as of 4/2/04, there is one more backup for 4/3/04. When I go into the Restore Entire Volume Destination Selection, I see TWO Volumes labeled "EVO_W4000 (C:)" -- one gray and one black.

What would a YOU do?

Thank you,

Wayne Scott

Okay. I did it. Now during exit, I do NOT see any problems reported about the drive being unavailable. Therefore, I am confident that the backups will continue to run as scheduled.

Just curious though -- why is the label not restored with the drive?

Thanks again,

Wayne Scott

Archived