Recreate from tapes

fharczuk

I don't have a catalog file and went to:

Repair Catalog

Recreate from tapes

It does the rebuilt but does not get all of the sessions. I get about 14 of the 60 gig on the tape or 4 of the 8 sessions. I did this three times with the same results.

Why does this operation take forever? Can't it find the session files on the tape and just pull those files, instead of reading the entire tape?

If I have a tape backup with Retrospect on it would this be the process to retrieve data on this tape?

Hi

The fact that some sessions are missing and that it takes forever may mean you have a bad tape or the physical connection to the tape drive isn't so good.

What happened to your catalog file? Are you using multiple tapes that are named as the same backup member?

Thanks

Nate

My system crashed and couldn't find the file so I tried to recreate it. I did eventually find the file and am able to restore files that are not on the recreated catalog. So it appears that this operation is not working, at least for me.

Does retrospect have to read the entire tape to recreate the catalog? I hope not since other backup software is able to do it without reading the entire contents of the tape.

tia

Archived