Error 530

bobbydall

Hello everyone. I am using Retrospect 6.5 on Windows XP. 6.5.319. I have been running just fine connecting to 2 client workstations as well as backing up my XP machine.

Last week I added a second NIC card to my XP machine. Now, the back up runs fine locally but will not backup the clients. "Error 530 cannot find client" is the fail message.

When I start retrospect I can click configure=>clients=>add=>test, and put the IP address of the client machine and it finds the clients just fine. I can use Windows Explorer and get to the clients fine as well. I can also drop to a command prompt and ping the clients by IP, and by netbios name just fine.

I also attempted to add a new client and I can't see it either. So I know the issue is with the XP machine and probably the second NIC. Any suggestions on how to reslove this issue? I have to keep both NIC cards so removing one is not an option.

Cheers

Mark

Hi

Retrospect is going to try to talk to the clients on one of the two NICs. It sounds like it is choosing the wrong one. There isn't a way to bind it to a specific nic in Professional. Your best bet may be to change your network setup so the other nic can be used for client backp

Nate

Wow. That makes no sense. Retropect just decided to use the new NIC for communication even though I can still run the "test" button and ping the client ok?!?! Even though it has been using the existing one this far!?!? Not a nice feature. Or why wouldn't it try on all NIC's!??!?!

I will swap Network Configs from NIC to NIC and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

I think a binding option would be handy in all versions.

Cheers

Mark

Hi

In Retrospects defence...

The OS decides which interface responds to multicast. Usually it is only one interface so you can run into this kind of trouble. The test command does not use multicast, instead it uses a standard ping.

Nate

Archived