Can't save Snapshot file, error -802 (typed-space is corrupt)

wscott44

HI Folks:

I can find a reference to this error code on line but have not found a course of action.

Does "(typed-space is corrupt)" refer to the source or the destination?

Backup is being done on Windows 2000 SP4, to a hard drive in a removable tray.

NTFS on source & destination.

+ Retrospect version 6.5.343

Automatically launched at 4/2/2004 6:00 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.9.101

+ Normal backup using Removable Drive Tray at 4/2/2004 6:00 AM

To Backup Set Backup Set B...

Retrospect Professional only supports Open File Backup on Windows XP.

- 4/2/2004 6:00:39 AM: Copying Drive C (C:)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsys.dll": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_35c.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\20040328.050\": can't read security information, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

LmMark: ndex = 263102, not in range

tyceDoMark: DL 263102, LmMark/1 failed, error -610 (unknown)

Can't save Snapshot file, error -802 (typed-space is corrupt)

4/2/2004 10:05:59 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 4 files, 182 KB

Completed: 39346 files, 5.5 GB, with 19% compression

Performance: 23.2 MB/minute

Duration: 04:05:05 (00:02:33 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 4/2/2004 10:06 AM

+ Retrospect version 6.5.343

Launched at 4/2/2004 10:53 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.9.101

===============================

The "...VirusDefs\20040328.050\" folder for Norton Anti-Virus 2004 is gone; maybe that happened during a scheduled update. However, virusdefs are dated 4/1. I disabled the virus scanner during the backup, but not scheduled tasks.

It's hard to tell by timestamps, or lack thereof, how closely correlated that event might be with "error -610 (unknown)" and then the final one (-802).

What adds to the mystery is that I had been backing up to an external USB 2.0 BUSlink drive, but today it failed; so I started a new backup to the removable drive tray ...

- 4/2/2004 3:10:40 AM: Copying Drive C (C:)

Trouble matching Drive C (C:) to Backup Set A, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

Retrospect Professional only supports Open File Backup on Windows XP.

What I am having trouble determining is the Root Cause(s)!

Is the source corrupted? Is there a verification / repair procedure to run?

chkdsk /f ???

Thank you,

Wayne Scott

Hi

The error seems to occur when the snapshot is being saved. That can mean problems on the primary hard drive. I would run utils on both of them. Make sure you have a few hundred megs of free space on the internal drive.

Nate

Hi

Either of those utilities are a good place to start.

Another possibility is a corrupt Retrospect catalog file. You might want to try rebuilding it from the tools menu. Does this problem always happen on a particular drive?

Thanks

Nate

It's too soon to say whether or not it always happens -- this was the first time I tried with the drive that is in the removable tray.

What might be the cause is that I have V-COM Fix-It Utilities installed, and realized I had some activities scheduled to run when the backup would have been running. I have changed that.

Thanks,

Wayne Scott

Archived