new use-new drive-new program

shakeyguy

I am new to cd's and also retrospect. I asked similiar question previously with no replys. Please advise me. I made this backup set and because it listed ten executioin errors I finally got around to verifing the set of four cd's. Below is part of the log. It appears I got a lot of errors and I wonder if the backup is worth saving. I did see a few head positioning errors listed and also there were long "resyncronising" delays durring the verify mostly at the end of the cd's.

I am using a brand new Yamaha 24X cd unit with Imation 10X high speed rw cd's.

What is the likely problem? cd's---drive--program-me?

How can I prevent this in the next full backup??

I really need a safe reliable backup of my drive.

Trouble reading: "3-first full-2-18-02" (2148), error -206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.)

Trouble reading: "3-first full-2-18-02" (2452), error -206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.)

Additional error information for device "Yamaha CD-RW" [1:1],

Sense > 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00

(YAMAHA |CRW3200E |1.0b)

11 files were not verified

4/15/2002 11:43:03 AM: 317 execution errors

Remaining: 11 files, zero KB

Completed: 23705 files, 2.2 GB

Performance: 55.7 MB/minute

Duration: 00:45:28 (00:05:23 idle/loading/preparing)

THANK YOU

Mel S.

A serious thank you Melissa for the reply but unfortunately it did not answer my main concern. It takes hours to burn 4 cd backup set and I did so with no sign of problems. After I finished I discovered that there were a few files that did not copy. It was not until I verified the cd's " more time" that the main trouble showed up. This is NOT acceptable to me. Are users expected to repeatably spend hours of time burning disks only to find that they will not verify? If so I desperately need different backup program.

Mel

Hi shakeyguy,

I sympathise with all your errors :)

Just a thought, but you may have programs/TSR's running in the background that are interfering with backup process. I've found that shutting down everything except "systray" and "explorer" via before proceeding with a backup eliminates any errors.

Better still, get a free prog called "Enditall" which will do it for you........and if it is left running in the background will stop your screensaver and power saving options from kicking in and spoiling the backup.

It's also useful when you defrag your hard drive, stops that annoying 10% limit that sometimes occurs :)

I think the prog is available from ZDnet or Cnet, it as a Ziff Davis/PC Magazine prog and is freeware..............

Good luck !

Archived