Snap Volume Mounted for backup- Problems....any takers

I'm having issues backing up snap servers mounted on the local desktop. Very often it gets stuck comparing. The log says it can't find various folders. No changes had been made to any the files. It's also some days backup real slow. the kb notes say snpa servers can be backed up by mounting like i have. i've even tried backing the servers up using dave. that failed as it found "server errors" and failed to back up the drive. local desktops backup fine the snap servers havethe most upto date OS. this client is getting pretty upset with the situation. any one got ideas. o

if there is a known issue, is it ok to turn off comparing.

help!

jaime

the system is an atto ul3d scsi card connected to an LTO2 drive. os is 9.2.2 running the latest retrospect 5 with scsi updater installed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Challenge,heh.. Just what I need on Friday afternoon wink.gif

The problem with SNAP servers is they are BSD based and they often don't emulate AFP or HFS filesystems very well. Retrospect treats the SNAP server as it would any other volume but the SNAP server just isn't up to speed. Your best bet is to update firmware and drivers on the snap server.

Nate

Ooo fun fun fun. netatalk can cause any number of problems, and I suspect this is what the SNAP server is running if it's BSD based. In the past I had to do a lot of jumping through hoops with netatalk in day to day operations, let alone trying to run backups from it. In fact if you find the netatalk-dev list (think it's on umich somewhere) you will see the chaos that often ensues with it!

I stopped using it a while back sadly, I lost too many files to it over the couple of years I ran netatalk based stuff.

Archived