R6.5 damages my DVD drive/disks

RandyB

I just got a new Lite-On 4.11s dvd rewriter. Works great with Nero 6 and Memorex DVD+RW media. When I tried to setup R6.5 custom configure with blank DVD+RW media, it just said it couldn't read the CD media. When I tried it with formatted media, it warned about erasing and then gave the same error that it could not read my CD media.

After that, I could no longer read my DVD!! If I looked at it with Nero, the info page said there was all my old data. But when I added data with Nero, it treated the DVD as if it were a CD. And I cannot see any of the old data in Windows Explorer.

I have tried rebooting with no change. Also tried a second DVD+RW Now I appear to be stuck with either a useless DVD drive or two useless DVD+RW disks.

Any suggestions? An excerpt from the operations log is below.

+ Running Custom Configuration tests on LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S at 3/21/2004 11:37 PM

3/21/2004 11:37:56 PM: Setup test: Successful

3/21/2004 11:37:56 PM: Default setup test: Successful

3/21/2004 11:37:56 PM: Drive type test: Successful

3/21/2004 11:37:56 PM: Drive initialization test: Successful

3/21/2004 11:38:20 PM: Disc information test: Successful

Testing CD-RW media type

3/21/2004 11:38:20 PM: Write method 1 tests start

3/21/2004 11:38:20 PM: Write method 1 tests final result: Failed

3/21/2004 11:38:20 PM: Write method 2 tests start

3/21/2004 11:38:20 PM: Write method 2 tests final result: Failed

/final result: Failed

CD-RW media type is not ready to be used with the drive

Hi

I imagine your drive is fine but the disks may be gone. When custom configuration fails it sometimes brings the disks along with it. This can be better or worse depending on the drive you are using.

In any case I suspect a new disk will function properly.

Nate

The word from Dantz tech support is that I'm screwed. Retrospect has trashed two DVD+RWs, and likely would do the same if I tested a DVD-RW. Maybe someday they'll test a Lite-on like the 411 and create a custom driver, but don't hold my breath. The tech support person said I probably cannot recover the DVDs from what Retrospect did to them.

If I had purchased my software update directly from Dantz I could get a refund. But I got it from a dealer, so I'm stuck. The software will still work with my DAT tape drive, but I wanted to replace it with the DVD. That was 95% of the reason for buying the DVD burner.

Now I'll have to look for some new backup software. I'll probably find some freeware or just write some xcopy type batch files. I can't see spending any more money on backup software.

Robin, as you see above, an issue for Dantz seems to be getting DVD drives to test. At least, that's the party line. I would be happy to loan my brand new LiteOn 411s drive to Dantz to create a config driver for DVD-/+rw. This is a very popular drive - used by many OEMs as well as end user purchasers.

I could be without the drive for several weeks. As you see above, the main reason I got it was for backups, and it's worthless (for Retrospect, at least) without a R6.5 driver. I can just keep using my dat tapes for a while longer. (I wouldn't mind having the postage paid, though.)

Let me know.

Randy

Archived