Two external drives: same name? One script or two?

I'm preparing to change our daily backup strategy for our LAN (all Macs running OSX). Currently, I use Retrospect Workgroup and back up to one internal hard drive.

I will be using two 250 gig external firewire drives, and will be backing up the same volumes across the LAN each night. I plan on alternating the drives every other night. On the "off-nights," I'll put the drive that's not in use in a fire safe.

Can I give the two drives the same name and use only one script? Or will Retrospect recognize the difference between the drives?

If I do use unique names for the drives, should I use one Retrospect script or two?

Thanks for those answers, and for any other tips that might apply.

Retrospect will indeed recognized that the drives are different. What you can do is create one script with two backup set destinations. The script schedule will dictate which set Retrospect writes to on a given night.

You'll need to have both drives hooked up (or one drive at a time) when making the backup sets. For file backup sets the backup set catalog needs to be saved directly on the destination drive.

• 1 month later...

Hi Amy,

I have never known Retrospect to see another drive as the same before even if named the same but I now have a client who is using a directly connected Firewire drive for Retrospect backup and also accessing a shared Firewire drive from another Mac on the network.

When she unmounts the directly connected Firewire drive and opens Retrospect, the Retrospect scripts will show the shared Firewire drive as the destination. Close Retrospect and unmount the shared network Firewire drive then mount the correct connected one and it is all back to normal. I have tried rewritng the scripts and sharing the network Firewire from another mac. Still does it.

Drives have different names. Running Panther and Retrospect 5.

Any ideas?

Richard.

Hi

It sounds as if both devices have the same Directory ID on the local machine (or something like that). I have seen similar problems when connecting to Linux Netatalk machines via filesharing. Do you have the ingore priveleges setting enabled on the local drive? Have you run disk utilites on the drive while both the shared drive and the FW drive are mounted? Does backing up to a subvolume on the local FW Drive make a differece?

Thanks

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...

What if you have a user that "sometimes" forgets to swap the drives everyday?

How do you set it up, for Hard Drive Backups, to look for DriveA, DriveB or DriveC to see which is available and use the one that is connected?

TIA,

Justin

• 3 weeks later...

Nope. With Retrospect 5.x Workgroup it won't.

I had set up a script with three destinations (Hot1, Hot2 and Hot3). As long as I use whatever drive is listed FIRST - it runs OK.

If I connect a drive that is the second or last listed - it fails.

It seems that it'll cost me $160 to upgrade to get the Proactive Client in version 6.x to get that feature to work. frown.gif

Justin

Hi

This should work automatically.

Just to clarify:

-You have 3 drives with a "file" backup set on each one.

-All 3 of these sets are listed

-You plug in the drives before Retrospect starts.

-Retrospect recognizes that the drive is plugged in and that the backup set is available?

Thanks

Nate

> This should work automatically.

Yes...It should. But it don't.

> Just to clarify:

>

> -You have 3 drives with a "file" backup set on each one.

Correct.

> -All 3 of these sets are listed

Yep.

> -You plug in the drives before Retrospect starts.

Yes. However, the drives are hot-swappable and there is one drive connected at a time.

> -Retrospect recognizes that the drive is plugged in and that the backup set is

> available?

Only if the drive listed FIRST is connected.

If I change the order to Drive2, Drive3 and Drive1. It'll only work if Drive2 is connected.

If I change the order to Drive3, Drive1 and Drive2. It'll only work if Drive3 is connected.

The server is locked in a closet and the user is not in the office everyday so we need Retrospect to recognize and use whatever drive is connected.

Archived