Duplicate Copies

rocksani00

I was interested in purchasing your product though I do not know if it performs the function that I need it too. I recentyl downloaded the retrospect trial version. Under the backup options and "duplicate" your program states that it backs the files up by using duplicates however it says that it does not recopy the identical files. Is there a way to alter this so that when I set it to duplicate my Hard drive it will automatically back ALL of the files up and not just the new files.

Hi

There are ways to do this but it isn't done by a single setting or anything. In a duplicate Retrospect makes the destination disk match the source disk. It checks both before running the duplicate and does not delete/re-copy files that are already identical on both drives. Because Retrospect compares the files before running the dupe it shouldn'T be necessary to copy everything every time.

If you really want to do it that way you can set up something like this:

-Set up a duplicate script to run at 10:00PM

-source folder = an empty folder

-destination folder = the folder you keep your duplicated files

Running this will wipe the contents of the destination folder

-Set up another duplicate script to run at 10:01 PM

-Source folder = what you want to duplicate

-destination folder = the folder you keep your duplicated files

Since the previous duplicate operation wiped out the contents of the destination folder all of your files will be copied again.

Hope that helps

Nate

Archived